DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New Slogan- Oracle: More Than A Job..It's An Obsession

Just thinking about all the time I spend at work during the day, just to come home at night and read more books, whitepapers, scripts and then jump on this thing *laugh* So is it just me or all we all obsessed with Oracle?

Joe
    (877)687-3227

I won't say "obsession", but it may not help your (mine also) career.
    I know a brilliant Oracle guy changed his job to management position. The reason, he said, is very simple: How long can anyone read Oracle manuals? There is a limit. Second reason, he said, is: there is no future if he continues to work as a Tech. guy in his firm.

I do not know how much his words are valid today.

I seem to agree with you Joe, I just can't get enough of Oracle. So much that I have plans on creating some kind of Oracle site for beginners.

Sometimes I have found people that have trouble understanding my "obsession" , they look at me wierd and think that I'm a "Geek". But thats ok, because I am a "Geek". And second I really don't care what other people think of me.

I just wanted to say Joe I share your passion. And I think that life was meant to have fun and we as humans have to enjoy it as much as we can, so as long as I'm happy .... thats all that matters. So if hacking Oracle is what makes happy, let it be I know I'm living my life to the fullest.

ditto

I agree with Jeroocho and wjramsey.

I don't know what the future is like and what my carrer is like, but I like working with Oracle.
    Sometimes that I got some stress from the fact that there are too many things to learn to be a good DBA.
    As long as I enjoy working with Oracle, This is the most important thing to me.

[Edited by chobo on 11-17-2000 at 02:08 PM]

I enjoy hacking around in oracle (let alone a ton of other things) and learning new stuff. I have a degree in engineering but got thrown onto a project as a DBA/Developer based on some (minor) work I did at an internship. I've enjoyed it so far, and there certainly is never a lack of new reading material.

I'm thinking about getting an OCP and gettng a real DBA job for a while after I get some more experience here. If the time comes that I'm sick of reading all the Oracle docs and DBA'ing, I'll just switch to something else. Or, I'll keep finding Development/Engineering jobs that require a part time DBA. I keep up to date on new technologies, languages, etc so switching to a different tech job shouldn't be too hard.

Going management/business might be feasable but with a few classes to learn to think like suits do :) For the time being I'm content to be a tech guy.