DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ODBC and Account locking

ODBC and Account locking

Dear All,

I'm afraid that I'm not sure if this question fits perfectly into any of the categories listed in the forum, but, here goes...

We have a 9i database that holds all of our primary data. To this we link MS Access or VB apps via ODBC. We have a big problem, however, in that when a user's password expires and they renew it, their account locks up. This also sometimes happens when a user has not retained an active link (i.e. if the link is inactive for over an hour the connection is terminated and the user has to reconnect).

Presently, most of our ODBC clientware is 9.0.1.0, except for a very small handful which are 9.0.1.7. All of the 901's do lock-up without fail everytime passwords have to be changed. So far, only two of the four or five 9017's have actually locked the accounts.

Does anyone have any experience of this, or any idea on how to tune the Oracle DB/ODBC to combat this problem.

Any input is appreciated, and I would be extremely grateful if anyone could suggest an alternative to upgrading the other 70 PC's we have with the 9.2.x version (this means commiting staff to walk around every single PC and manually upgrade them).

Thank-you in advance for any answers.
    Paul

try to use Microsoft ODBC for Oracle instead of Oracle ODBC
    The man called Zorro

Hi Zainalj,

The Microsoft ODBC does not provide any password management support or time-out support, and still relies on the actual core Oracle ODBC files.

Paul.