DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORA-03113: When Creating or Testing DBLink

ORA-03113: When Creating or Testing DBLink

Hello,

I'm getting the error -
    ORA-03113 end-of-file on communication channel
    When I attempt to create a new DBLink or test an existing one.

I've searched my server for the alert.log, but it doesn't exist, I read somewhere to check the User Dump but don't know where to find it, or what it is called exactly.
    Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be, what to check and where etc.?

Regards Al

what I do to ensure connectivity with the remote database before I create a datbase link is..
    from the command line I try to connect to the remote database using the userid I want to use. That way if I can't connect to it when I create the database link, I know it's not because of underlying connectivity issues. Other than syntax issues, not having the remote database listed in the init.ora on the server side is usually the main reason for connectivity issues.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    what I do to ensure connectivity with the remote database before I create a datbase link is..
    from the command line I try to connect to the remote database using the userid I want to use. That way if I can't connect to it when I create the database link, I know it's not because of underlying connectivity issues. Other than syntax issues, not having the remote database listed in the init.ora on the server side is usually the main reason for connectivity issues.

Word!
    I remember when this place was cool.

Hello OracleDoc,

Firstly may I say; Top quality handle and just what I need!!

I'm new to Oracle and mostly use TOAD when working with oracle so don't really understand what you mean by connecting via the command line do you mean SQL Plus or the DOS Prompt?
    I presume in either case that I should be running sql pluse or dos from on the host server?

Also I don't know what you mean by listing the remote DB in the init.ora? I usually insert the connection string into the tnsnames.ora? Is that the same thing... doubt it??

I've tested my DBLink in reverse and it works okay. By this I mean that I'm having trouble connecting my Live DB to my BackUp DB.
    BackUp DB connects to the Live without any problems

Cheers Al

Originally posted by Running Bear
    I'm new to Oracle and mostly use TOAD when working with oracle
    That's your first mistake! Toad is the spawn of the devil! You need to learn how to type stuff out via the command line which is either sql or dos prompt. Then once you know that stuff you can use toad. Bahhh!

to find out if you have connectivity from the live database to the backup database you would do this. From the dos prompt issue

$> sqlplus userid/used_for_db_link@backup_datbase

if you connect then you're good to go
    if you don't, that means you don't have the backup database listed in your tnsnames.ora file.

it's nice that you have connectivity from your backup to your live but that's not what we're trying to accomplish here, we want the reverse which means you need to tell Oracle that it exsits. Which means you need to go open up netmanger and fix it
    Last edited by OracleDoc; 04-13-2004 at 10:01 AM.
    --------------

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    . . . . that means you don't have the backup database listed in your init.ora file.
    don't you mean tnsnames.ora ?

Also try tnsping servicename from your live db to backup db.
    This will also tell u if connectivity is there from live db to backup db.

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

Originally posted by DaPi
    don't you mean tnsnames.ora ?
    DOAHH! damn misprint. yep good catch Dapi thanks
    --------------

I've attempted to connect via the command line
    Code:
    I:\orant\ora81\bin>sqlplus fcontdba/*****@fastcont_backup.nat.bt.com

error: ORA-12154: TNS:could not resolve service name
    I have already manually entered the tnsnames entry but am now trying to register it manually.
    I've tried to run the Net8 Configuration Assistant but when I choose "Local net service name configuration" and click next nothing happens. So I've been trying to do it from the command line

I searched for NAMESCTL on the server. Found NAMESCTL.exe in I:\orant\ora81\bin
    so I've attempted to run the following
    Code:
    I:\orant\ora81\bin>register FastCont_BackUp.Nat.BT.com -t oracle_database -d (description=(address=(protocol=tcp)(host=123.45.67.8)(port=1521))(connect_data=(sid=fcont)))

Error: Invalid Parameter(s)
    Register a program so it can have special...
    Can anyone see where I'm going wrong? Is Oracle_Database a static parameter or am I supposed to be substituting it for something of my own? Apologies for all the questions, however I am soaking it all up

Cheers Al

Apologies it clicked just after I posted my last reply that I needed to execute the namesctl.exe which I've now done

Got the following errors -
    NNL-00024: warning: no preferred name servers in SQLNET.ORA
    NNL-00018: warning: could not contact default name server
    Welcome to NAMESCTL, type "help" for information.

Are these critical errors? I've just checked my other db which works and it throws the same errors?

Have attempted to register my db

now getting error
    Response status: NNC-00406: name "FastCont_BackUp.nat.bt.com" does not exist