DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OEM and RAC

OEM and RAC

Oracle Intelligent Agent with RAC

Recently been on Oracle's 9i RAC course but left with a number of questions about how best to use OEM wth RAC that the instructor couldn't answer.

Ok here goes:

With a 4 node cluster, to use OEM can I monitor the whole cluster with one agent or do I need to run all 4?

When submiting jobs/events, I understand they can be submitted against the cluster as opposed to individual instances/nodes. If I have all 4 agents running, and I submit for example an event like the chunk small one (monitors the database's tablespaces), does this event get registered with all four agents? If it does, what happens when I have to clean start an agent, would I have to cleanstart all four agents and discover the cluster from scratch?

Is the overhead significant running all 4 agents?

What does oracle recommend? Documentation seems a little thin on the ground, or can someone point me in the right direction?

Any help would be appreciated and any real life practical advice people have when setting up OEM with RAC would also be welcomed.

Regards,

Barry

You need to put an agent on all monitored nodes.

When you submit jobs you can look at the gv$XXX_Jobs view
    and ind the inst_no value. A value of zero means that the job can be run by any node of the cluster, a non zero value means that the job must be run by node X.

regards

steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Thanks for the info, but what happens if you to cleanstart an agent?

What do you mean by clean start an agent? I assume you mean to delete all the relevant files that the agent had previosuly used to discover itself, register jobs etc, you do this you open the door to trouble
    once you have registered the jobs/events.

If you have OEM setup with jobs/events and are unable to startup the agents normall I'd call support. It's a great product in theory but sometimes it takes some kludgey messing with to get it working

Red face

where did you go for the course ? Most trainers in the courses I go are the same do not know much and turns out to be "Train the trainer sessions" where the trainers actually learn a little more!!

Yep I agree, cleanstarting agents is a last resort, and to be fair 9iR2 agents are fairly robust. But I'm toying with with running only one or maybe two agents to cover the 4 node cluster for simplicity and if a cleanstart was required, it would be easier this way.

I've read agents aren't cluster aware, I wonder if there is a danger of the agents tripping over one another?

Does anyone use OEM with RAC?

The traing course was with oracle in Reading, and they didn't have an OMS running...

Originally posted by bazza
    Yep I agree, cleanstarting agents is a last resort, and to be fair 9iR2 agents are fairly robust. But I'm toying with with running only one or maybe two agents to cover the 4 node cluster for simplicity and if a cleanstart was required, it would be easier this way.

I've read agents aren't cluster aware, I wonder if there is a danger of the agents tripping over one another?

Does anyone use OEM with RAC?

The traing course was with oracle in Reading, and they didn't have an OMS running...
    Yeah, we do, how are you going to monitor a node with no agent?

Yes, that is an issue. Can I ask how many nodes you use in your RAC set up, and what you do when you a register a job? Do you register your jobs against a particular instance or against the database?

Have you experienced any issues running OEM with RAC?