DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Nls_lang/nls_characterset

Nls_lang/nls_characterset

Hi all,

Is it ok for me to set the database NLS_CHARACTERSET=UTF8 (UNICODE) and on the workstation we set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.CL8MSWIN1251, instead of NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8????

thanks

i dont think so.. they must be the same... once, i had experience when my applications and database have different values for nls_lang, and i had to make them the same before doign anythign else..

and of course, i set them to the same value as the database...

also, one of the warnings messaeg is that if i messed up this nls_lang, my database would be corrupted.. i am not sure how this is goign to happen but i am not going to take chances so just changed the value as the database and all is fine..

Re: Nls_lang/nls_characterset

Originally posted by learning_bee
    Is it ok for me to set the database NLS_CHARACTERSET=UTF8 (UNICODE) and on the workstation we set NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.CL8MSWIN1251, instead of NLS_LANG=AMERICAN_AMERICA.UTF8????
    Hm, I believe, generally speaking, db character set should be able to handle all characters in the applictions,
    and client character set determines how you should set nls_lang.

I.e. if app/os/terminal is using "MS code page 1251" you should indicate this to Oracle NLS (Two-Task?) layer by setting NLS_LANG=.CL8MSWIN1251, so that conversion to, say, UTF-8 is done properly. This way, if you have other clients (e.g. ISO 8859-1) they can have the proper characters read back.

You should read: http://download-uk.oracle.com/docs/c...a96529/toc.htm (as suggested by bsDBA)
    Chapter 2 and consider the questions therein.

UTF-8 at the back end is probably a good idea if you want web/java based apps too.

Good luck!
    Oh! Look! A nerd... and some nerdlings!

Hi All,
    As long as ur Database character set is a superset of the client character set, you should not have any problems.

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

Originally posted by anandkl
    Hi All,
    As long as ur Database character set is a superset of the client character set, you should not have any problems.

regards
    anandkl
    any commands which i can use to check to make sure that it is a superset?