DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Email Notification

Hybrid View

Question Email Notification

Hello,

Can anyone tell me whether the email notification feature is working on this forum?
    I've selected it in my profile and activated my account by following the link in the verification email, but still don't get notified when people respond to posts I'm subscribed to????

I did see a post with the same question posted in 2001 thought it might be fixed by now 04/2004?

Cheers Al

Dapi,

I posted this question after starting a rant off topic. If I manually click subscribe to this thread will I receive an email when someone replies? Or are there no emails ever?

Cheers Al

If you read between the lines of that old thread, it would appear that something in the forum software/configuration is not quite up to spec. It seems from my experience:
    EITHER we can have no e-mails from posts in threads (as it is now)
    OR we can have an e-mail every time there is a post in a subscribed thread, even if the user profile says no e-mails - which can be MUCH TOO MUCH!

Perhaps Linda can tell you more . . . .

The best option IMO is -
    Send an email when a post is made to a subscribed thread but no more until you view the post again.

Which is the way it works at vbforums.com, also Powered by: vBulletin Version 2.3.4, so I don't see why it couldn't be configured in the same way

Unless of course this is what you object to? However the way I understand what you saying is that you get an email every time someone responds to a subscribed thread whether you've viewed it since the last post or not. Which I agree would be very annoying especially for the prolific posters.

Cheers Al

Ok, I'm playing with this again. Someone please post a reply to this thread, in fact, several someones please reply. I want to see if I get an email, and if so, how many emails I get.

No DaPi, I have not changed the forum config...yet. You won't be inundated with email. Eventually, I guess we'll have to change the forum config to test, but I'm planning on getting the techs involved again, so hopefully VB will be working right and only those who want email will get it. For now, I want to see if ~I~ can get email, probably not, but I need to check it out anyway.

http://dbasupport.com/
    http://databasejournal.com/

Got any email recently, Linda?
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Did ya, did ya?

Personally, I think the email notification is for people that don't really want to participate but want answers to their questions. These people typically put URGENT in their posts.
    Jeff Hunter

My 2¢ says keep it like it is.

. . . that is to say:
    - no e-mails (other than generated from PM's)
    - posting auto-susbcribes