DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitoring 7.13 and 8.17

Monitoring 7.13 and 8.17

Hi to all,

The problem;

I have to monitor some different database behaviour ( growth on controlfiles, databasefiles and tablespaces ) on an Oracle 7.13 database environment. This is on a production server which has no performance pack installed ( and I'm not allowed to ).
    I also have to monitor the same on some 8.17 Oracle production database environments which have no EMCA installed ( and once again I’m not allowed to ).
    Output on this monitoring ( when reaching a critical threshold ) must be sent by e-mail / pager or written into file.

The sollution ;

Here you guys come in.

Regards
    GKramer
    The Netherlands

so easy to ask huh how much do you pay?

Pando,

No offense but...

I used this forum ( and other forums ) to share my knowledge with others and this time I'm asking some hint and tips so I can deal with the problem I'm facing.

I thought we DBA's where a community ( sharing the same ) but I think I might be wrong reading your comment!!

I think it is very unpolite to give such an answer om my question. If you looking for something to earn your money with I think you'd better search somewhere else.

Anyone with a serious reaction om my question ?????

GKramer
    The Netherlands

Are we to understand that you can change NOTHING on the server - no new procs, no Java for SMTP, no agent for OEM?

If so, how about Perl? I was very impressed with the kit of parts available and could cobble together something basic (run query & email/SMS results) in a day or two. (The O'Reilly book is an excellent start - it's a cook-book, hopeless for actually learning the language.)

dapi,

Thanks for reacting ( again ).

Writing some procs is no problem ( installing software is ) but I do not know how to script to check files ( checking on growth ( auto extents )) and schedule this within the Oracle versions without the possibility of using jobs / events.

The outcome ( when reaching a threshold ) must be sent to me ( or a colleague ) by e-mail / paging or written into file. This last part, writing into a file, I used once but I still do not know how to schedule ( on interval / each 15 minutes ).

Another way to accomplish this is to use a BAT / CMD file opening SQL*PLUS executing a script, collecting data and write this data into a file. But I've never done this.

Hope you can push me in the right direction?

GKramer
    The Netherlands

Originally posted by GKramer
    Pando,

No offense but...

I used this forum ( and other forums ) to share my knowledge with others and this time I'm asking some hint and tips so I can deal with the problem I'm facing.

I thought we DBA's where a community ( sharing the same ) but I think I might be wrong reading your comment!!

I think it is very unpolite to give such an answer om my question. If you looking for something to earn your money with I think you'd better search somewhere else.

Anyone with a serious reaction om my question ?????

GKramer
    The Netherlands
    And I was serious, have you even tried wo do something?!?!?

Community...? The problem is many confuses community and help-only-forum, I have not seen you share you so called "knowledge" with anyone

another 59 posts 59 questions guy sad sad sad
    Last edited by pando; 04-08-2004 at 05:48 AM.

Pando,

Reading your comment feld very hostile thats why i gave you this answer. And if I ever tried something by myself ??? I was an Oracle DBA for several years finding it all out by myself with nothing else than books and hard labour and some forum feeds whenever i get stuck !!!!

Community might be the wrong word but what I ment was that we shout help eachother when we encounter some problems. ( trying not to invent the wheel again..... ).

I'm still open for reaction on you behalf regarding my question I started this forum-thread with

Regards,
    GKramer

have not seen you help any others so you are NOT the indicated person to talk about a community and helping each other

and how can you say "some forum feeds whenever i get stuck", geee what kind of selfish!

and I am amazed being dba for several years you never had to do some capacity planning and monitoring

Pando ,

relax man.. please also see not every body is very intelligent enough.

BTW, you are right... Give and Take is good principle...

But had u asserted this in polite/proffesional way, it would have been a great suggestion to him. ( PS its just my view to be professional for what so ever ).

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

I am relaxed, just got a bit burnt seening peeps like this who only asks and then saying we should help each other LOL