DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: DBMS with Microsoft Active Directory

Hybrid View

DBMS with Microsoft Active Directory

Hi all,

My company is planning to migrate the existing domain from NT 4.0 to Windows server 2003 Active Direcotory. We have database running on Windows 2000 server and these server stay untouch. Couple questions:

1. Do we have to do anything on the database side, I mean the database server with the integration with AD.

I did some research on metalink, got confused.

2. Anyone has done this before, do you have any issues or advises????

thanks

Not unless the users login with os authentication as I understand it
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Sorry, I was confused about Active directory, after reading a lot of docs, I still confused.

1. any way, as far as I don't use OS authentication, I should have to worry about changing or setting up anything on the database right???

2. Any known issues regarding to AD????

Your question seems rather confusing.

While, since you have mention your database server is running on Windows 2000 server and your company have the intention migrating the NT 4 domain to Windows Server 2003. There's no issue on the database server. Coz, it's possible to run Windows 2000 server with Windows Server 2003. All of them are able to communicate with each other.

In fact, most of the AD are only use for logging user authentication purpose. This is the common practise in real world environment.

Unless, your company have intention to put everything on the AD which i recommended not to do it.

Any further query, you are most welcome to feeback in this forum. I believe members in this forum are more willigly to help you out.

Cheers !!!
    MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP

Your question seems rather confusing.

While, since you have mention your database server is running on Windows 2000 server and your company have the intention migrating the NT 4 domain to Windows Server 2003. There's no issue on the database server. Coz, it's possible to run Windows 2000 server with Windows Server 2003. All of them are able to communicate with each other.

In fact, most of the AD are only use for logging user authentication purpose. This is the common practise in real world environment.

Unless, your company have intention to put everything on the AD which i recommended not to do it.

Any further query, you are most welcome to feeback in this forum. I believe members in this forum are more willigly to help you out.

Cheers !!!
    MCSE,MCDBA,MCSD,CCNA,CCDA,CCSA,CCSE, MCSA, SCSA, OCP