DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: ODBC Driver Installation help

ODBC Driver Installation help

I have been asked to install an ODBC driver for Oracle 9i database on a windows XP client. I am not familiar with this. What is difference between the system DSN file DSN tabs in the ODBC Data Source Administrator tabs in Windows. I appreicate if someone could offer detailed installation instructions for installation of the driver, ASAP. Thanks in advance.

I've always installed as System DSN (to be honest, I don't know what File DSN does!).

- Install the Oracle client. I suggest you include sqlplus, as well as ODBC and the required stuff - it's useful for testing connectivity. The "minimum" installation is probably what you want - check that.

- Configure Net8 and test connection to db with sqlplus.

- Configure the Win ODBC admin. Click on System DSN and add.

by the power of my google underpants....

What’s a DSN ?

According to Microsoft documentation, it means "The name that applications use to request a connection to an ODBC data source." In other words, it is a symbolic name that represents the ODBC connection. It hides the connection details like database name, directory, database driver, UserID, password, etc. So when making a connection to the ODBC, you don’t have to remember the database name, where it resides, etc.

So, what’s a file DSN ?

Before we discuss this, let me the list the various types of DSNs.

System DSN: This is the DSN used through out the system, no matter which user logs in. Meaning, all users on the system can see this DSN and use it (as long as they know the user ID and password). The connection parms are stored in the registry.
    User DSN: This is a DSN created for a specific user. Only the user who created the DSN can see this and use it. Like System DSN, the information is stored in the registry.
    In both these two cases, DSN details are stored in the system registry.

With that, let me explain what a file DSN is. Instead of storing the DSN details in registry, you store it in a file - simple ?! Yes, it is. The file is a simple text file, with a .DSN extension.

Originally posted by mrchrispy
    by the power of my google underpants....
    With the blue belt, that's quite a stunning ensemble