DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle/Windows 2003

Oracle/Windows 2003

Our company plan to upgrade to Windows 2003 domain server.

Does anyone running into any known issues or bug on Oracle 9i on Windows 2003???

thanks
    Last edited by learning_bee; 03-31-2004 at 12:17 PM.

Re: Oracle/Windows 2003

Originally posted by learning_bee
    Our company plan to upgrade to Windows 2003.

1. Does anyone know where I can find the certification matrix for Oracle 9i versus Windows server 2003????
    metalink.oracle.com

2. Does anyone running into any known issues or bug on Oracle 9i and Windows 2003???
    You mean other than having to reboot your server every 3 days or so?
    Jeff Hunter

If the server already had Windows 2000 running, let' say if we want to upgrade the O/S to Windows Server 2003 with the assumption that all of the database are shutdown. The question is "do we have to reinstall the software and restore the database??? Or we can simply startup the datbase afterward"

thanks

You mean other than having to reboot your server every 3 days or so?
    Now, now Jeff!

I run 8i and 9.2 on a mix on NT, 2K and 2003 and almost never have to reboot.

And not one hour's unplanned downtime in 3 years as far as Oracle is concerned.

how big is your db

how many users are concurrently runing queries/transactions

I have never seen (so far in 4.5 years) a shop which uses windows to run mission critical apps such as CRM, Telecom Billing systems, DWH

Originally posted by pando
    how big is your db

how many users are concurrently runing queries/transactions

I have never seen (so far in 4.5 years) a shop which uses windows to run mission critical apps such as CRM, Telecom Billing systems, DWH
    Personal experience. It's a bank. Two instances on two-node Win2K cluster, Oracle FailSafe for HA purposes. Each instance has about 500-600 concurent sessions (dedicated server connections). Database size cca 300 GB each. One is transactional system, the other is DWH (kind of). Both are mission critical.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Admittedly they are small systems. 50 or so concurrent sessions - however, as they control 80% of the business flow in the company they are mission critical.

I agree, if I had to ensure 24x7 availability 1000 concurrent users I'd plump for something more robust, like Linux or Unix. Particularly with the state the Admins keep our network in!

Just don't assume that every Windows shop is a flaky, fly by the seat of your pants outfit!

dont get me wrong, I am not saying windows is no good, what it was suspicious is you dont need to reboot time to time!

windows 2000 is getting better but nt pffff....