DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Deployement strategy for an Application developed using Oracle 9i DS Release 2.

Deployement strategy for an Application developed using Oracle 9i DS Release 2.

I am Senthil Anand an Oracle Certified Professional DBA, and am currently working in NIFCO. We have bought licenses for Oracle 9i Database Release 2 and Oracle 9i Developer Suite Release 2 during August 2002. And moreover i joined the company just a month back.

The situation in our company is that applications supporting our business are in the development phase by a software company based in Oman for the past 2 years. The initial SRS for the project submitted by them required Oracle 9iDS, but they have developed the product on Oracle 6i. Since that Oracle 9i DS release 1 had Oracle 6i Developer.

The issue is we need the product to run on Oracle 9i DS. To put it straight will we require Oracle 9i AS to deploy the application if it is on Oracle 9i DS release 2, and if it is so can a Oracle 9i AS run on a LAN network.

I kindly request your advice in this issue.

Expecting your earliest reply,

Regards,

Senthil.G

Yes Orale9iAS can run on LAN.

For running 9iDS developed applications (froms and reports) you need to install the BI component of Oracle9iAS which requires Oracle9iAS infrastructure installed as a pre-requisite. So what you need is.

1. Oracle9iAS infrastructure. Includes a metadata repository database and LDAP server and other components.
    2. Oracle9i Application Server (the BI part). This will install the forms server and the Reports Server. Also installs Discoverer and Oracle Portal for single sign on and wireless and other components.

OR

what i use is

Install Ora9iDS on the server and run the stand alone OC4J container that comes with the Ora9iDS (This can handle forms as well reports and stand alone J2EE applications). Its sipmle and easy to manage.

You can use the Ora9iDS OC4J container as long as you do not call any infrastructure dependent components like the web services, clustring etc (Read the Infrastructure details in the 9iAS manuals).

HTH
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!

hi Monk...

Hai Monk,

Thanks a lot for the insight....

well regarding the second point..

installing Oracle 9i DS on the server and installing stand alone OC4J component in the client... this holds good for Java based applications if my thought is right....

but the situation in my place is that the total application is developed using oracle forms/reports...

the following is a more descriptive story... read thro if u find some time.....

+++++++++++++++
    The situation in our company is that applications supporting our core business are in the development phase by a software company based in Oman for the past 2 years.
    I joined the company a month ago and i am a database guy.

The initial SRS for the project submitted by them required Oracle 9iDS (without any version specs), so based on this my company has bought Oracle 9i DS release 2 during august 2002... and they knew that we hold Oracle DS 9i release 2... but they have developed the product on Oracle 6i, Since that Oracle 9i DS release 1 had Oracle 6i Developer.

The issue is we need the product to be on Oracle 9i DS but the current requirement of my company is a client/server based application... but the SRS states that the application must be web deployable for future needs..... this can be done with 6i using 9iAS also..... but the management is ready to spend money even to buy 9i AS to deploy the product on oracle 9i forms.... .... currently the application will be on a Client/Server later it may be opened for external clients....

now my queries....

1. can an application developed using oracle 9i DS release 2 be deployed using MS-IIS (web server).... or it can be deployed only on Oracle 9i AS. Because our application access requirement is within a LAN currently.. but it is to go web-enabled in the future...

2. can a Ora 9i AS be deployed on a LAN .....

3. I heard that Oracle is de-supporting Oracle 6i from Jan 2005 is it true? if it is so what will be the best option for the above case... with regards to the future

these points have almost blocked the project progress.. and based on this decision the application will be migrated to 9i or we accept 6i...

I kindly request your advice in this issue,
    Expecting your earliest reply,

Regards,

Senthil.G
    Database Administrator.
    National Investment Funds Company,
    P.O Box 3028, PC 112
    Muscat.
    Sultanate of Oman.
    Phone - 00968-7713143
    Fax - 00968-7713241

Re: hi Monk...

Originally posted by gsenthilanand

1. can an application developed using oracle 9i DS release 2 be deployed using MS-IIS (web server).... or it can be deployed only on Oracle 9i AS. Because our application access requirement is within a LAN currently.. but it is to go web-enabled in the future...
    No, forms and reports based applications cannot be deployed on MS-IIS server, it can be used only with 9iAS. If you are looking from the future prospect, then move forms to TCA (thin client architecture). There are various tools available which can convert forms to jsp.

2. can a Ora 9i AS be deployed on a LAN .....
    yest it can be deployed on LAN as well as WAN and also on the internet.

3. I heard that Oracle is de-supporting Oracle 6i from Jan 2005 is it true? if it is so what will be the best option for the above case... with regards to the future
    Desupport doesnot mean that there will be no support for those tools, desupport simply means that there will be no more bug fixing on that version. Only available bug fixes till the desupport date will be addressed.

For heavy forms and reports usage you can still use the stand alone OC4J container that comes along with Ora9iDS, as Oracle9iAS uses the same OC4J container internally.

More ever you can do load tesing to see the performance for both 9iAS as well as the 9iDS OC4J container.
    Amar
    "There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path."

Amar's Blog  Get Firefox!