DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What ir $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle for?

Exclamation What ir $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle for?

IS anyone know what is $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle is for? this is on Solaris machine.. I accidentally ran this files and coz Ora-600 on alert.log.. any idea?
    The man called Zorro

You know, after I get slammed by my fellow DBA's for joking about something and I see questions like this put up makes me go hmmmm.

So I'll play nice this time even though it pains me greatly.

Your ORACLE_HOME/bin directory is where the Oracle executables are stored. For an example.. things like your listener executable. You don't want to play with them.
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    You know, after I get slammed by my fellow DBA's for joking about something and I see questions like this put up makes me go hmmmm.

So I'll play nice this time even though it pains me greatly.

Your ORACLE_HOME/bin directory is where the Oracle executables are stored. For an example.. things like your listener executable. You don't want to play with them.
    I hate people like this.. they are not trying to answer the question but to critic. Well in unix... normally $ORACLE_HOME/bin is part of $PATH.. therefore not need to play in $ORACLE_HOME/bin.. just type "oracle" it will refer to $ORACLE_HOME/bin to execute this command.... that's why i'm accidentially ran this command juest because my unix id is "oracle"... hope you really understand the situation and please answer the question if you know...
    Anybody pls help?
    The man called Zorro

$ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle is the oracle executable! How do you think Oracle manages to run?

Originally posted by zainalj
    I hate people like this.. they are not trying to answer the question but to critic.
    If you would take the time to read the documentation you wouldn't have to post questions that make you look like you have no clue as to what you're doing.

Also,if you would read past the first paragraph to my orginal post you would see that I did answer your question.

enough said on this subject. Have that Oracle kind of day!
    Oracle it's not just a database it's a lifestyle!
    --------------
    BTW....You need to get a girlfriend who's last name isn't .jpg

Originally posted by OracleDoc
    If you would take the time to read the documentation you wouldn't have to post questions that make you look like you have no clue as to what you're doing.

Also,if you would read past the first paragraph to my orginal post you would see that I did answer your question.

enough said on this subject. Have that Oracle kind of day!
    Everybody know $ORACLE_HOME/bin is where oracle executable files stored. If i found some doc on this definately i won't post question here..
    I know in windows $ORACLE_HOME/bin/oracle.exe is the core engine for oracle but in unix ..we can see all bg process saperately such arch,dbw,etc.. that is why i wonder what "oracle" for...maybe it is startup program tu run all those bg process.
    The man called Zorro

its the oracle executable which runs everything, you will notice it has the setuid permission set so that everytime you want to run something, it gets run as the oracle user. Play with it at your peril

It is a documented feature that if you run it you get a ORA-600

Originally posted by davey23uk
    its the oracle executable which runs everything, you will notice it has the setuid permission set so that everytime you want to run something, it gets run as the oracle user. Play with it at your peril

it's also alot of fun in an outsourced data center environemnt where the dba's must report all alert log errors within a specified time frame to meet sla's. In the past in moments or boredom I'd type oracle, oracle, oracle at the command line to light up the alert log and see how long it would take the dba to respond ;-)
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by davey23uk

this is the answer that is looking for..Thank you very much davey23uk.. i really appreciate it.
    The man called Zorro