DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installation on linux

Hi all,

When i went through the installation manual of oracle 8.1.5 for linux,

It said that , create a mount point (min two ) before you install oracle.

I am new to the linux environment. How do i create a mount point ? can any one help ?

Thanx in advance

BMV

mount points are partitions on the drive. a typical linux intstallation will have directories like

/
    /usr
    /var
    /home
    /tmp
    /usr/local

and various others. during the intstallation process, you'll use whatever tool the distribution uses (redhat uses disk druid, or used to anyway, most others use fdisk I think), to partition your drive.

If you have say 6 partitions, an assign each of those directories to a partition, they become a mount point.

Oracle wants 2 mount points, one for the software, and one for the datafiles, control files, log files, etc. You don't really need 2 mount points (I would believe), as much as just 2 seperate directories to put the stuff in. Especially if you're just using it to play around as a test database.

If you already have linux installed, type df, or look at /etc/fstab to see the partitions and where they're mounted. Find a big one, let's say /usr, make a directory called /usr/oracle, and use that for your oracle base. Then make one called /usr/oradata and use that for the rest of the data. Or make any other directories based on how you want to organize it.

If you're installing linux from scratch, you might want the practice of setting things up using oracles optimal flexible architecute (OFA). You can create mount points like

/u01
    /u02
    /u03

Etc, then follow their guidlines. Pretend each mount point is a different disk (assuming you have only one drive), as it would be in a higher end system, and practice laying everything out correctly.

Thanx pwoneill

Thanx pwoneill

I trying to install ORACLE in my clients place through telnet.

All machines in my site are windows based and my clients is LINUX. I am unsuccessful in installations of oracle.

I heard that ORACLE for Linux needs a Xwindows Setup to Install , Is that true?

Thanx inadvance

BMV

8i needs X-Windows 8.0.x doesnt need to, I am not sure if you could install 8i in character mode though

I'm pretty sure both require x-windows. You'll need to find a windows x-server so you can make an x connection to your client's machine to do the install. There's a small one at [url]http://www.microimages.com/www/html/freestuf/mix/[/url] that has a free version you can use for a while, and I think is only $25 to buy. There's not as many features as some of the larger commercial ones but it should get the job done.