DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Storing Word docs, XL spreadsheets etc in Oracle - Why?

Storing Word docs, XL spreadsheets etc in Oracle - Why?

Simple enough question. I know all about being able to store documents in an Oracle database. My question is why would you do this? What great business benefit to a company in storing documents in this fashion? I can think of two: security and recoverability, but if the network is secure and backed-up, is Oracle any better?

Have I missed something here folks? Anyone know any good on-line docs or resources where I can read up the concepts in a business scenario?

The indexing structure on the OS('s) is getting smarter/faster and I wonder myself what's the point of storing it all in the a database. unless you want everyone to do a select * from bigdoc.bigdocos;

but I'm sure there are stronger arguments than these to store them in db and vice versa.
    Last edited by Tarry; 03-18-2004 at 11:22 AM.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

all I can think of is some kinda backend to a website or custom app that serves up documents from a massive library. A site that had lots of pictures would be a good example of this......apparently people like looking at pictures on the interweb

What abt in the view of backup and recovery?

If it is external file, we will have to manually check whether all the files R there or not in the case of restoration.

Security is another reason. Instead of buying 3rd party OS level security tools, we can explore Oracle server's security features.

These points R with respect to DBA's views. Management ppl can have different idea.
    -nagarjuna

Hi.

Remember also, using RMAN gives you block level recovery. If you have a problem with a large image or document you would have to restore the whole file from an OS backup. With Oracle restore/recovery issue is much reduced.

The next release of Windows will incorporate a database layer on top of the filesystem (WinFS) which will essentially act as a clever indexing tool. If you're going half-way why not go the whole hog!

Cheers
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

well if you store these in the database you can query and search right?