DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

Hybrid View

Exclamation Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

Q1.If i use RAC on solaris 8 /Oracle 9i and RAW fs what would be the best maximum size for each datafile?

Q2. Why using RAW instead of cooked?
    The man called Zorro

Re: Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

Originally posted by zainalj
    Q1.If i use RAC on solaris 8 /Oracle 9i and RAW fs what would be the best maximum size for each datafile?

doesn't matter

You have to in order to share them between instances.
    Jeff Hunter

i think that 2 questions is clear enough.. but seems your answer you donno what i asking for.
    The man called Zorro

i think that 2 questions is clear enough.. but seems your answer you donno what i asking for.
    wtf? cooked al dente please
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

any other people here can answer my question..hopefully they use english.
    The man called Zorro

Re: Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

Technically, it doesn't matter what size your datafile is as long as it fits on the device/partition.

Does your Filesystem software support two computers directly hooking up to the same physical device? Probably not.
    Jeff Hunter

Re: Re: Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

[QUOTE][i]
    Originally posted by marist89

Technically, it doesn't matter what size your datafile is as long as it fits on the device/partition.

This is insane... in RAW there is no partition..if i follow you my datafile max size will same as total of hardisk size.. i think u never work with RAW fs before...

Does your Filesystem software support two computers directly hooking up to the same physical device? Probably not.
    I'm asking why should i use RAW instead of cooked filesystem? ....but by lookin to you answer i know you referring to RAC which totally not answering my question..
    I'm asking why should i use RAW instead of cooked filesystem? ....but by lookin to you answer i know you referring to RAC which totally not answering my question..

anybody have experiance on this...pls advice!
    ... my be julian may give some comment.. where are you julian?
    Last edited by pando; 03-16-2004 at 03:05 AM.
    The man called Zorro

Re: Re: Re: Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

This is insane... in RAW there is no partition..if i follow you my datafile max size will same as total of hardisk size.. i think u never work with RAW fs before...

OK, if you say so... Maybe it's you who doesn't really know what they are talking about...

Since your first question involved RAC, I inferred you meant RAC in the second question. Silly me, I assumed you had a coherent thought.

In theory, RAW devices on a single box would yield better I/O performance than a cooked filesystem. However, the maintenance would be more difficult if you don't know what you are doing (and I'm not passing any judgements...)
    Jeff Hunter

Re: Re: Re: Re: Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

Originally posted by marist89

OK, if you say so... Maybe it's you who doesn't really know what they are talking about...
    Who are "they" ? OK.. assume me know nothing on RAW.. what would you suggest for maximum datafile size? as big as RAW disk?

Since your first question involved RAC, I inferred you meant RAC in the second question. Silly me, I assumed you had a coherent thought.

In theory, RAW devices on a single box would yield better I/O performance than a cooked filesystem. However, the maintenance would be more difficult if you don't know what you are doing (and I'm not passing any judgements...)
    i know managing RAW quite difficult especially on backup/recovery.. it just like put your hand on the fire... that is why i wonder what make people think go for RAW fs beside I/O performance.
    The man called Zorro

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Recommended datafile size in RAW fs

Who are "they" ? OK.. assume me know nothing on RAW..
    I donno how you think you correct the english of others,when you know nothing of english you self.

I like you. you makeme laugh.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE