DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle 9i and Undo vs Rollback Segment

Hybrid View

Oracle 9i and Undo vs Rollback Segment

We are in the process of migrating frok Oracle8i to 9i. When I went for my training, our instructor mentioned to us that only use Undo management if you are using a datawarehouse environment. If you have OLTP then just use regular rollback. What do you guys think? We have a Siebel environment thats high in transaction processing. should i try undo or stick with RBS.
    "High Salaries = Happiness = Project Success."

undo all the way unless you really need to fine-tune you system and you can only do so by using rollback segs.

Search for und on askton, he has a good discussion of them there

Hi,
    Since u r working on an OLTP database - I would recommend u to use the automatic behaviour of undo segments present in 9i onwards. As this releives u from making new undo segments as and when required since Oracle automatically takes care of this feature.
    Thanx

Re: Oracle 9i and Undo vs Rollback Segment

Originally posted by jlakhani
    We are in the process of migrating frok Oracle8i to 9i. When I went for my training, our instructor mentioned to us that only use Undo management if you are using a datawarehouse environment. If you have OLTP then just use regular rollback. What do you guys think? We have a Siebel environment thats high in transaction processing. should i try undo or stick with RBS.
    So finally Siebel supports 9i :-)
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Go ahead.. use the automatic undo management feature in Oracle 9i.
    We have been using it successfully, and especially for OLTP, it's best to have Oracle handle the undo. All the more easier for the DBA....