DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle and Linux

Oracle and Linux

Hi folks,

I've just completed the most painful install of 8i ever. Took the best part of three days including upgrading JDk, downgrading binaries, patching and a great deal of foot stamping.

In case anyones interested it was 8.1.7 on Suse 7.3 personal. Why you may ask, well a Compaq may have "mobile" technology but it doesn't seem to handle the mobility of a sea container on a 1000 mile journey to well

Since my normal reaction is "It ain't broke, better fix it" the question is what's the most stable distro that can handle 9i and 10g separately ofcourse. Most stuff I've read seems to point to RH 9 but I've seen a lot of posts with people having trouble installing 9iR2. Any comments?

(BTW when did they rename 10g to 9.0.4?? bet the marketing dept are spewing!)

Davey, I've read your thread so I'm already biased to RH.

I have found RH9, to be the best install, people have had problems because they havent followed instructions :-) www.dizwell.com has perfect instructions for installing with right versions on glibc and whatever.

Tim Hall's site also has this.

10g was even easier, I had the right environment for 9i so 10 went in without a problem.

The problem with RH9 though is that it is no supported, only AS2.1 and 3 are, where I think it works out of the box.

Cheers for that Davey.

Were you using the Personal or Enterprise edition?

It occurs to me it should pretty much install out of the box anyway as Oracle reckoned they certified Suse 7.3 (prob EE but can't remember). I even had issues installing on HP 11i.
    Last edited by ngdh; 03-12-2004 at 11:51 AM.

well HP is awful - need about a billion patches to get it to work, we have all platforms here so have found all issues on all platforms really

And yes it was EE

Thanks Dave,

Any idea if the install can be done on the professional edition as I'm a poor unemployed expat :(

Don't laugh but the next job I'm goin for is DBA to an Oracle/Windoze env. God help me!