DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Dynamic SQL within PL/SQL procedure and ORA-00905

Dynamic SQL within PL/SQL procedure and ORA-00905

I tried to use dynamic SQL within a PL/SQL procedure to re-create materialized view. Because the SQL statement for the creation is long, I store these mv name, tablespace, refresh method, refresh key and SQL select statement in a local table called xxx_mv_information. Then I create procedure with dynamic SQL in. The procudure was compiled successfully. When I run the procedure, it always give me ORA-00905 missing key word error. I have carefully check the syntax and can not find the problems. Please help me to figure out where the problem is. Thanks a lot in advance. Here is the procedure I created.

CREATE OR REPLACE PROCEDURE sp_recreat_mvs
    IS
    v_schema user_mviews.owner%type;
    v_sql_string varchar2(1000);
    v_sql_stmt varchar2(2000);

BEGIN

SELECT DISTINCT OWNER
    INTO v_schema
    FROM USER_MVIEWS;

SELECT TABSPACE||' '||REF_METHOD||' '||REF_KEY||' '||SQL_STRING
    INTO v_sql_string
    FROM XXX_MV_INFORMATION
    ORDER BY MV_NUM;

FOR x IN (SELECT MV_NAME FROM XXX_MV_INFORMATION ORDER BY MV_NUM)

LOOP

v_sql_stmt := 'CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW ' ||v_schema||'.'||x.mv_name||v_sql_string;

EXECUTE IMMEDIATE v_sql_stmt;

END LOOP;

COMMIT;

END;
    Last edited by traveller; 02-26-2008 at 05:03 PM.

You have to double-check your dynamic sql syntax.

Print out your v_sql_stmt command line before the EXECUTE IMMEDIATE statement, for sure you are going to see that you need a blank space before v_sql_string and who knows what else might be wrong.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

PAVB:

You are right. The syntax is very important in this regard. I missed a space again and it works after adding space. But I have another piece of code here. I know is the space problem to cause the ORA-00905 missing keyword error. But I tried many ways and can not figure out where the space is missing or whatelse. Please comment on it. Thanks a lot.

v_sql_stmt := 'CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW '||v_schema||'.'||mv_record.mv_name|| mv_record.tabspace|| mv_record.ref_method|| mv_record.ref_key|| mv_record.sql_string;

Ok... I'll teach you how to fish otherwise you are going to keep asking for a fish a couple of times a day.

First thing to do is to convert your code below...
    Code:
    v_sql_stmt := 'CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW '||v_schema||'.'||mv_record.mv_name|| mv_record.tabspace|| mv_record.ref_method|| mv_record.ref_key|| mv_record.sql_string;
    ...into something like this:
    Code:
    select  'CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW '||'v_schema'||'.'||'mv_record.mv_name'||'mv_record.tabspace'||'mv_record.ref_method'||'mv_record.ref_key'||'mv_record.sql_string'
    from    dual;
    Please execute it and tell me if what it returns looks like the right syntax for the Create Materialized View command.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov

Author of Understanding Database Administration available at amazon and other bookstores.

Disclaimer: Advice is provided to the best of my knowledge but no implicit or explicit warranties are provided. Since the advisor explicitly encourages testing any and all suggestions on a test non-production environment advisor should not held liable or responsible for any actions taken based on the given advice.

Talking

PVAB:

Thanks for your teaching.

Actually, I used dbms_output.put_line(v_sql_stmt) in SQL plus to find problem.
    Then I add space in string. Then it works. Thanks for your help.

Nicely done. Way to go.
    Pablo (Paul) Berzukov