DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing Oracle 9i in Windows 2003

Question Installing Oracle 9i in Windows 2003

Hi Everybody,
    The Oracle 9i CD's that I used to install my Windows 2000 server, does not work in Windows 2003. It reports the error above in the beggining of installation where no folder or file had been created.

"Thrown when the IP address of a host cannot be determined"

Is necessary any configuration in Windows 2003 before beggining the installation? Or I need do get the Oracle installation CD's specific for Windows 2003?

Since now Thanks. Pedro Valiati.
    Pedro Valiati - Brasil

Is necessary any configuration in Windows 2003 before beggining the installation? Or I need do get the Oracle installation CD's specific for Windows 2003?
    What does the installation guide say?

What does the installation guide say?
    guide?
    what is this "guide" you talk about?

Yes, I think you need do get the Oracle installation CD's specific for Windows 2003.

Visit Oracle Download Database 9i page and you will see the following:

Oracle9i Release 2 (9.2.0.1)
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard/Personal/Client Edition
    for Windows Server 2003 (32-bit)
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Linux
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard/Personal Edition for Windows NT/2000/XP
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Sun SPARC Solaris (32-bit)
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise Edition for Sun SPARC Solaris (64-bit)
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for HP-UX
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for Compaq Tru64
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for AIX
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise/Standard Edition for AIX-Based 5L Systems
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Enterprise Edition for Linux/390
    Oracle9i Database Release 2 Client for Windows 98/NT/2000/XP

Re: Installing Oracle 9i in Windows 2003

You are trying to install an Oracle Product using Oracle Universal Installer. During the installation procedure a window pops up saying "Thrown when the IP address of a host cannot be determined". The installActions.log file has messages similar to the following:
    Calling querynetQueries1.7.1.5.0 getFullHostName Query Exception: UnknownHostException QueryException Class: class oracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilQueryException Query Exception: UnknownHostException QueryException Class: class oracle.sysman.oii.oiil.OiilQueryException

............. Solution Description
    --------------------
    You should first check the hosts file to see if the correct hostname and the IP address are shown.
    For example: >cat hosts
    # # Internet host table
    # 127.0.0.1 localhost
    138.2.56.91 rtcsol loghost rtcsolf

==========> after the IP address, one or more aliases for the hostname You can also check if the "hostname" command returns the correct result.
    For example: >
    hostname rtcsol

If everything looks good so far, then next check if command "nslookup" returns the correct IP address.
    The correct IP address should show up when you type >nslookup 138.2.56.91
    If the nslookup command returns error, you will need to talk to the Domain Name Server (DNS) administrator to correct this network configuration problem. If the nslookup returns correct value and if you still get "Thrown when the IP address of a host cannot be determined", keep ignoring the same and continue installation.
    Explanation
    -----------
    Without the network being configured correctly, the Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) will fail during its checkup on the hostname and host IP address.

Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe,Oracle/Apps DBA,OCP 8i,9i
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com

OK Thanks all, I took the 9.2 oracle version for W2K3 and Asked to my network admin to check the network, finally it worked.
    Pedro Valiati - Brasil