DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: RMAN recovery catalog

RMAN recovery catalog

Please confirm this for me.

I remember I open one the thread in here about RMAN b/c I had some issues with RMAN. Any way, the question is "can we have RMAN catalog on diffrent server with the target database???" From what I know, when I had problem with RMAN, one of the peers advise that my problem was RMAN recovery catalog is on diiferent server with my target database which was right b/c I moved RMAN to the same server and it worked ok. I am reading RMAN 9i book now, and it said I can have RMAN on on the administrator desptop which is different location with the target database.

I am little bit confused.

Please advise.

Hi you can have RMAN on a different location (server) from the target.
    But you have to pay attention to your backup destinations.
    If disks : The proper volumes/partitions need to be mounted on the target server.
    If tape : the tape device need to be attached to that machine.

Hope that I made it clear despite my broken english.

Latyr

Plus on 9i, we don't have to use Recovery Catalog anymore??? We used COntrolfile instead, right???

Originally posted by learning_bee
    Plus on 9i, we don't have to use Recovery Catalog anymore??? We used COntrolfile instead, right???
    the option to use controlfile is available right since 8.0. But using catalog has certain advantages.
    Sanjay G.
    Oracle Certified Professional 8i, 9i.

"The degree of normality in a database is inversely proportional to that of its DBA"

I'd much prefer to have target and catalog on different servers. In my case I'm thinking of having them in different cities! (Is that paranoia?)

Originally posted by DaPi
    I'd much prefer to have target and catalog on different servers. In my case I'm thinking of having them in different cities! (Is that paranoia?)
    Not specially.
    I don't believe that their is a big bandwith issue as the datas are kackup locally, I mean to devices (disks or tapes) attached to the target.
    But if you need much security have you ever think about using RMAN to build a stand-by database ???

Originally posted by Latyr
    But if you need much security have you ever think about using RMAN to build a stand-by database ???
    Yup. That IS in a different city! (I actualy built it with cold backup - but that's history).

Originally posted by DaPi
    Yup. That IS in a different city! (I actualy built it with cold backup - but that's history).
    Never thought about using RMAN ?
    Jus for my curiosity (I am a newbie junior DBA) how did you that ?
    Iknow that RMAN is the good way to go but still interresting to know how can one do without it.

As I said it's (ancient) history - the standby was first created under 7.3.4. I put together a bunch of scripts & instructions which have been used ever since - with B&R, using tried & tested methods gives a nice warm secure feeling - worked when re-establishing under 8 and 8i.

From what I read, any kind of "approved" backup will do - basically as long as a RECOVER command will work on it.

Oracle actually suggests a cold backup in the 8i doc. http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...ndby.htm#25948

Salut, bonne chance.