DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle RAC binaries size in two nodes not the same, help!

Oracle RAC binaries size in two nodes not the same, help!

Hi guys,

I did a RAC binaries installtion today on client site and found out that the sum of binaries sizes in both of the nodes are not exactly the same.

The system admin asked me about this. I was confused on how to answer this. He said it may be because of the rcp process were not completely successful. I did notice that under ORACLE_HOME directory the size of a few subdirectory are not the same between the two nodes. Those like bin, lib, rdbms were not the same.

Can someone please help me with this? I am afraid if tomorrow I still cannot answer, I may have to reinstall them one by one without using the rcp process.

Thanks in advance.

Ric
    Oracle freak & about-to-be DB2 freak
    Singapore

What OS and Hardware?

Where you able to run the clustercheck utility ok?

Regards,

Steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

It's running on top of Solaris 9 and Veritas Advanced Cluster 3.5.
    The hardware is two Sun V1280 with 4x900Mhz CPUs and 8GB of memory.
    Storage used is HDS 9970.

What kind of clustercheck utility? The cluster processes are all running since the OUI can detect cluster existence. I have tested the rcp process by copying over remote files with Oracle user.

Just wanna to know whether there is any valid reason on why this thing can happen. I don't understand on why on earth the two nodes can have different things inside. Maybe it has something to do with how oracle installation works. Maybe it did left some files on the node where I started the installation because seems like the node on which I ran the OUI has a bigger total sum of file sizes than its counterpart does.

Another phenomena? interesting!

Ric
    Oracle freak & about-to-be DB2 freak
    Singapore

I guess there will be installation logs and stuff left over from the install that won't be copied across. Maybe even the OUI itself?

If the sizes of individual binaries are different then it would suggest a relink has been done on one node after the installation was completed, and the resulting binaries not copied across.

Yeah this is but a pain for sure. I've done a few OPS/RAC configs and notice silly things like not all the tools gets copied or installed on all nodes of the cluster.

I've given up on the OUI for this purpose and simply install/patch on a per node basis and not allow the OUI to push binaries to other nodes.

Regards,

Steve
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message