DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Defragment NTFS volume?

Defragment NTFS volume?

Hi guys,

Recently I asked a network administrator about the level of fragmentation on the NTFS-volumes that hold the Oracle datafiles.

His reply was: there is much fragmentation on that volume. He showed me a picture of "Disk Defragmenter" of MS Windows 2000 Advanced Server. That picture showed fragmented areas in red, but the whole picture was red!

Must I be worried about this? Can NTFS-level fragmentation influence the performance of Oracle? (I'm afraid so) Must I defragment regularly?

Hope you guys can shed some light on this issue...

Erik
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Defrag on all windows systems definitly helps (I use Raxco Speed Disk, it has server and workstation version), but remember taht it is good to have at least 20% free space to have fast and quality defragmentation.

The only place where I expect to see a difference in performance is at low-level I/O. And the CBO doesn't take that into consideration...

Should I use the "Disk defragmenter" by MS Windows? Or use a specific tool, like Raxco Speed Disk or Norton Speed Disk? What is better?

Are there any DBA's that don't agree on this?
    Last edited by efrijters; 03-04-2004 at 11:16 AM.
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.