DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner - Starting 8i personal on my home PC.

Hey Mer:
    Jeez, there are several possibilities for what could be wrong. I am unclear as to whether you're working in a standalone mode or not. If you are, try logging on through SQLPLus without specifying a service name. Supply only username and password and hit enter. Let me know what happens. If you get through, then you at least know that your basic DB installation was successful.
    There are some very useful debugging tips in the Documentation, Chapter 8 of the NET8 Administrator's Guide. Sorry for suggesting that you might have confused download with install.
    Johnny D.

Exclamation Please help

Doyle
    1. I went to orawin95/networ/admin/sample/listener.ora
    (GLOBAL_DBNAME=salesdb.mycompany)
    (SID_NAME=sid1)
    (ORACLE_HOME=/private/app/oracle/product/8.0.3)

2. I went to TNSnames.ora and checked
    CONNECT_DATA=
    (SID=<oracle_sid>)
    3. I uncommented the lines in listener.ora

4. I went to init.ora ---- db_name=SAMPLE

5. I went to sql*plus and tried to log
    system/manager@SAMPLE
    system/manager@sid1
    system/manager@oracle_sid
    I get error ORA 12154

6. I checked for the solution --- reconfigure QUEUESIZE in listener.ora. I couldn't find this paramer in the file to correct
    Please somebody help me to log on so that I can practice on my home PC. It will be of great help

Doyle,
    Sorry for bothering you a lot. What are friends for. I tried to log on SQLPLUS giving system and manager, no service name. I get the error ORA 01034 ORACLE not available. I have all the files on my D drive. I dont understand that error. Is there any site where I can look up how to solve this errors. Some body mentioned it on this site, but I lost it. I will try to look into the documentation.

where can I find documentation

Oracle not available means the instance has not been startted.

Use the startup commands to start the instance before you connect to the database. To startup you need to connect as internal/oracle.

Nizar

you can read online docuymentation in Technet.oracle.com, you can download them from there as well.

Red face Needs help

Naibagh,
    i know I have to connect and then start the instance. The problem is from where to connect. When I go to programs__oracle-DEFAULT_HOME--Database administration, I get the menu box with start database
    Stop Databse
    databse configuration Asst
    I click on start database and enter manager as password I get the error cannot log on. I went to c prompt and set oracle_sid= sid1. I tried sample also
    At c prompt I entered svrmgr and tried to start the utility. I get a message bad command or file name. If I get the svrmgr prompt I know how to start the service. Help me here

Smile Solved by Reinstalling

All,

Thanks for your help. I found that the best solution was to reinstall the O8i personal edition as the first installation failed to create a sample database due to the lack of memory space. I created more space and got the Universal Installer to create a sample database for me. Now all of the passwords work.

Thanks for your help!
    Davo
    <<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>

Mercedes:
    Let's back up a bit. The files tnsnames and listener have only to do with Oracle networking. They do not apply in the case of just using Oracle in standalone mode (server and client(say SQLPlus)on the same machine). The first thing to do is to determine if your installation was done correctly and this is done by starting Oracle and then logging on with SQLPlus. In this situation you can consider that no networking is required and therefore no host string is required. If you get Oracle not available, then I suspect that the installation was flawed. Your failure to get SVRMGR started may indicate incomplete installation or simply that your environment variables do not point to the directory in which SVRMGRL lives. The directory is root/Oracle/Ora81/bin/svrmgrl. Try using windows explorer to click on this program. If it aint there then your installation is bogus and you should reinstall. Reinstallation, however, is not a straightforward. If you get to this stage then holler.

Arrow Almost there

Hi
    Thanks for your help. I realised why I couldn't get thesvrmgr started I forgot to include l next to r. Finally I got svrmgrl started. I looked into init.ora file. Db_name is sample . I used set oracle_sid= sample. At svrmgrl I tried to connect as system?manager as sysdba, sys/oracle as sysdba. I get ORA --01031 insufficient privileges. I typed SHOW SGA. I get another message ORA --01012 not logged on. Do you think I should check my pwdfile. You should guide me from this point