DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner - Starting 8i personal on my home PC.

Question

Hi,

I am new to Oracle yet very proficient in Access97. I have recently installed Oracle 8i Personal on my PC at home.

They have a sample database that you can play with however I can't START the database? It always asks me for a userid, Connection String and Name? At work this is easy as someone has already done it for me. How can I do this at home however?

Thanks.
    Dave
    <<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>

Your tnsnames.ora file needs to be updated for the instance you are trying to access. This file is usually found in oracle_home/network/admin.

When you create a new instance, a default user account system with password 'manager' is created. Use this account to connect to your database.

system/manager@instancename

Database Password

Sorry.

I couldn't find any directory called ORACLE_HOMES?

When I try to start the database it promts me for a password. I downloaded it free from the internet so would do you thing the password should be?

Sorry I'm new to Oracle yet very good at MS Access.

Thanks
    Dave
    <<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>

Unhappy

I have the same problem as Dave. Created the database on NT. When I created on NT
    1.I created folders for database DB01.
    2.Then I went to start--Run--Regedit--HKey_local_machine and changed local to db01.
    3. Mycomputer-- environment entered the path and DB01
    4. I went to control panel--services and checked whether oracle service db01 is started automatic, TNS Listener started automatic
    5. I went to C prompt and entered oracle_sid= DB01
    6. At svrmgr I connected as system/manager as sysdba
    7. created pwdfile with oradim
    8. created database.
    This I did at my friend's house where the software was set up. I am not very familiar with installation. I just managed to download psoracle 8i for windows. I went to explore and looked for all the directories. I found starter and stage files. I cant find the path oracle_home/network/admin. I am little bit lost. I would appreciate if somebody could help in this direction. I tried to use system/manager for the password.
    HELP badly needed

Hi,

If you could contact me at this email address then probably ,i'll be able to walk you both through the installation procedure.

-Anand

Anand,
    It looks like you forgot to give your email address. Thanks for offering your help.

'Oracle_home' is lingo for the directory on your hard dirve where the Oracle executables where installed. By defalut it will be something like c:\orant or a newer version might be d:\Oracle (by default Oracle will look for the drive with the most space)

Also the default database is usually called Orcl, this will also be the connect string, it works like this:

Username/password@connectstring

or

System/Manager@Orcl

Dave, as you must know by now Oracle is nothing like Access, which is almost totally GUI. Oracle was not really designed to be user friendly, just powerfull, that also makes it unforgiving if things are not exactly the way the syntax calls for.

Good luck
    Frank

Mercedes:
    It sounds as if you have not installed Oracle. Bear in mind the distinction between downloading the software and installing it on your PC. I have not done an installation from the downloaded files and can offer you no guidance there. Poke around for files named setup.exe, install.exe, and so forth.
    Davo:
    What OS are you using? Windows 95/98 handles starting Oracle slightly differently than does NT. Whichever OS you are using, you will want to start out by using a modified command line mode interface called SQL Plus. When you fire this program, it will ask for your user name and password (it will also ask for a connect string, but I assume you are doing all of this on one computer so the connect string is not necessary in this situation. The connect string parameter relates to accessing Oracle through a network. If you are using Oracle in standalone mode {client on same machine as server) then you need enter nothing for this parameter......it will connect you to the database without it.) Also it is not necessary for you to worry about which particular database you will be connecting to at this stage, as the installation programs create only one database and will configure this as the default database. When you issue the correct username and password it will automatically connect you to this database. Whithin this basic database there are several different usernames/passwords you may use, one of which is Scott/Tiger. Using this you will be able to see a small number of tables with limited data. Try "select * from tab". Also you may add another schema (username/password and an associated set of tables) called demo by running a script called demobld.sql. This schema has more objects and data and is slightly more interesting to monkey around with.
    Please respond with further questions or let us know how it goes.

Win98

Thanks JDoyle!

That clears things up a little. I thought this might have been the case. I have tried Scott/Tiger (plus numerous others) and I'm going to try sys/change_on_install and system/manager when I get home from work. I have both the client and the server on the same machine so I don't need the connection string (Thanks for the tip).

Davo.
    : - }
    <<<<<<<<< >>>>>>>>>

Wink

Doyle,
    I found all the files in orawin95. Db_name is sample. I tried to log on from sql*plus with system?manager @sample. I get ORA 12154: TNS could not resolve the service name. Iwent to network/admin/sample/tns and changed the sid to sample. It didn't work. Please guide me from this point. It looks like I am almost there. My OS is 98. On NT I go to the registry and change home to sid. I mentioned how I created the database in the previous message