DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Emails of All DBA gurus and max extents

I would request u all DBAs to kindly part with ur email address becoz i dont have Net connection at my work place i might need ur help in future so plz post ur email address

Thanx in Advance

Bye for now

If i have one column as image (long raw) and it is about to jump max extent in next few days in Oracle 7 what do i do to get it refreshed means reduce it the current size is 24 gig i can even impor export it.

Plz help
    Bye for now

ALTER TABLE my_table STORAGE(MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED);

This will let you go out to about 2.4 Billion extents, so that should take care of the immediate problem. Now all you have to do is make sure you can handle all drive space required!

Sorry

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by carp [/i]
    [B]ALTER TABLE my_table STORAGE(MAXEXTENTS UNLIMITED);

This will let you go out to about 2.4 Billion extents, so that should take care of the immediate problem. Now all you have to do is make sure you can handle all drive space required! [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry there is no option like maxextents unlimited in Oracle 7.2

You have 2 choices then if you're on 7.2

1) If the table is not currently on it's max_extents limit, then make the next_extent size big enough to keep you going until you can action 2).

2) Export the table, Disable constraints, truncate the table, change the next extent size to something more appropriate, import the table.

of course, there is an option 3) too... Upgrade to 7.3.4 or higher.

cannot export more than 20 gig

You cannot export a table which has grown in size from more than 20 gigs

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by TerryD [/i]
    [B]You have 2 choices then if you're on 7.2

1) If the table is not currently on it's max_extents limit, then make the next_extent size big enough to keep you going until you can action 2).

2) Export the table, Disable constraints, truncate the table, change the next extent size to something more appropriate, import the table.

of course, there is an option 3) too... Upgrade to 7.3.4 or higher. [/B][/QUOTE]

Sorry - misread your post - I thought the 24Gb referred to Database size.

I didn't realise there was a limit to the maximum size of a table on export. I've searched Metalinkm, but come up with nothing - Sorry.

Do you have the disk space to do a Create table .... as Select * from .......: ?
    If so then create the copy, drop the original and rename copy.