DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAC backup strategy

Originally posted by zainalj
    Then what is this statement refering to? incremental backup also available on export/import method not only on RMAN. Seem you are prefer RMAN rahter than dd. why??? is that just because you are using RMAN or what?

look, i never use RMAN before as well as dd for RAW, that why i'm asking your opinion. Is there someone else here have experiance on this?

As far as i'm concern RMAN:
    - use another DB to store it catalog -> therefore it requre another space
    - RMAN db need to recover it is crash -> else main db unrecoverable
    - lots of issue especially bug
    If you're afraid of rman god help you with RAC!

What could be simplier in 9i than
    run
    {
    backup database;
    }

come on man, get with the times dude, this ain't rocket science.

Build your sandbox database, read the manual and do some testing
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Originally posted by hrishy
    (thats software for you :-))

RMAN in 9i doesnt require a separate DB it stores everything in the control file..read metalink .

regards
    Hrishy

Hrishy,

what do you mean RMAN doesn't need to have seperate DB??? Is it something new in 9i??? B/c I have been using seperate DB and store the rigistry and catalog in this database. It must be somehting I am missing in 9i. Could you please explain or point me somewhere to read up on this.

thanks

Originally posted by learning_bee
    Hrishy,

what do you mean RMAN doesn't need to have seperate DB??? Is it something new in 9i??? B/c I have been using seperate DB and store the rigistry and catalog in this database. It must be somehting I am missing in 9i. Could you please explain or point me somewhere to read up on this.

thanks
    read the book dude

Although RMAN can conduct all major backup and recovery operations using just the control file, note these advantages of using the catalog:

Some RMAN commands and operations function only with a catalog.
    The recovery catalog retains historical backup information that can get overwritten in the control file.
    The recovery catalog stores information about backups from different incarnations of the database.

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...a96566/toc.htm
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

stmontgo,

thanks your reply. you misunderstood my question. the question I want to know is that you should have a seperate database for RMAN and catalog right???

Hi LearningBee

Till 8i you needed to have a catalog or a separate database for RMAN to have many of the functionalities working.RMAN has undergone a major revamp in 9i.Most of the things now in 9i can be accomplished without using a catalog or a separate database.

You read the RMAN 9i Book by Mcgraw Hill Authored by robert freeman or the documentation.

regards
    Hrishy