DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAC backup strategy

Exclamation RAC backup strategy

Hi all,
    I just wanna asking what is the best backup and recovery strategy for 9i RAC (9.2.0.4). This DB using RAW device running on solaris 8.
    I read some oracle DOC saying that using RMAN is expensive for RAC.

My 2nd question is what is the best approach to copy from RAW to cooked filesystem?

Thanks.

Hi

In both the cases its RMAN and nothing but RMAN..wheather cooked file systems or RAW.

regards
    Hrishy

there is another option to use "alter tablespace xxx begin backup" and use dd command to copy from RAW to cook's.
    Which one is better RMAN or dd?
    i'm thinking that
    RMAN: if RMAN DB crash, then it need to recover.
    restore also must be from RMAN
    Lots of issue using RMAN
    dd (conventional):?????

Hi

I would always prefer RMAN over dd.dd is less complicated agree..but for a incremental complexity look at the features you get

backup database will backup your complete database
    restore database will restore the complete database

go to metalink and refer docid on

and let me know which one you prefer.

If you ask my opinion since your are on 9i.I would say RMAN RMAN RMAN..no to DD..been there done it.

If you have any special requirement let me know on why you prefer dd over RMAN.

dd would be preferred in oracle7.3 OPS database certainly not for 9i..no way

regards
    Hrishy

i dont think we need to do complete restore if using dd. same to RMAN.
    could you please explain why we need to restore all oracle files (datafile,controlfile,etc). Assume one datafile is missing, we only restore that particular file and apply archive log. isn't it?

Hi

With RMAN also you do the same thing.If you lose a datafile in RMAN you just restore and recover that datafile..Thats it..

regards
    Hrishy

Originally posted by hrishy

backup database will backup your complete database
    restore database will restore the complete database

Then what is this statement refering to? incremental backup also available on export/import method not only on RMAN. Seem you are prefer RMAN rahter than dd. why??? is that just because you are using RMAN or what?

look, i never use RMAN before as well as dd for RAW, that why i'm asking your opinion. Is there someone else here have experiance on this?

As far as i'm concern RMAN:
    - use another DB to store it catalog -> therefore it requre another space
    - RMAN db need to recover it is crash -> else main db unrecoverable
    - lots of issue especially bug

Originally posted by zainalj
    Then what is this statement refering to? incremental backup also available on export/import method not only on RMAN. Seem you are prefer RMAN rahter than dd. why??? is that just because you are using RMAN or what?

look, i never use RMAN before as well as dd for RAW, that why i'm asking your opinion. Is there someone else here have experiance on this?

As far as i'm concern RMAN:
    - use another DB to store it catalog -> therefore it requre another space (This is wrong not true in 9i and RAC)
    - RMAN db need to recover it is crash -> else main db unrecoverable
    (Nope not true in 9i and RAC)
    - lots of issue especially bug
    (thats software for you :-))

well i suggest that you read the RMAN documentaion.I suspect you test with the 9i version of RMAN be comfortable and then evaluate yourself.
    I have been there and done that i am not saying i am the best.But i have seen people striggling with raw file systems and DD dont do it..its for machoists..check up cluster file systems available form various vendors..read the docs esepecially on 9i and RMAN

RMAN in 9i doesnt require a separate DB it stores everything in the control file..read metalink .

regards
    Hrishy

Cool

Thank You hrishy. You advice and opinion is highly appreciated. Will look into RMAN and 9i docs.
    Meanwhile if other people want to say something you are welcome too.

/Greenhorn to 9i/RAC/RMAN

Cool RMAN is the saviour

Hi,
    I am in total agreement with the use of RMAN.
    dd is a very time consuming way for copying and you will have great problem in backup and restoration.
    secondly, dd is a high I/O intensive so the system performance will go down drastically.

RMAN once implemented will be easier to manage. You can create custon scripts for backup, restoration, incremental backups etc. There is a little extra effort initially but it helps in long term. You can attach RMAN to other third party tools like Legato, Veritas backup and automate the whole process of backup. I have been using RMAN for last 1.5 yrs and would prefer it over any other thing.
    Thanks
    Regards