DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Change in RMAN backup set location

Question Change in RMAN backup set location

I am using RMAN to take the database backup.
    The backup set is in E:\.
    If I moved the backupset from that location, how can I tell RMAN to take the backupset from new location while restoring?
    Database Administrator
    Convergys, Hyderabad, India

Re: Change in RMAN backup set location

Problem
    -------
    In some situations we need to move or change the location of the backupset generated by RMAN backup for any maintenance problems or for availability of space on the disk or tape. Only RMAN has privileges to move or change the location of this file. If you try yourself manually to move this backupset file you cannot use it to restore or to recover.
    Usually RMAN generates this sort of error:
    RMAN-03002: failure of restore command at 12/12/2002 18:48:37
    ORA-19505: failed to identify file "/uorabackup/SMS_ora_df20021212_s70_p1"
    ORA-27037: unable to obtain file status ...

By default RMAN uses the value of the command CONFIGURE. This can be overwriten by the new FORMAT in the backup script. This change is valid only for the new backup not for the old backup.
    Solution
    --------
    With the new command of BACKUP, we can change the location of the backupset file. It is important to use this command with the option DELETE INPUT. Without the option DELETE INPUT when you query the catalog you see 2 files for this backupset: one from the first backup and another one from second backup. If the DELETE INPUT option is not used then when rman restores the database, it searches for the backupset file from the original location. Backs up either ALL backup sets or backupsets specified by primary_key or completion time. Use this parameter in conjunction with the DEVICE TYPE sbt clause to backup all backups on disk to tape. You cannot backup from tape to tape or from tape to disk: only from disk to disk or disk to tape. Note: If you specify the DELETE INPUT option, then RMAN deletes all copies of the backup set that exist on disk. For example, if you duplexed a backup to 4 locations, then RMAN deletes all 4 backup sets. The ALL option is redundant, that is, it does not add any functionality.
    You have to specify in the command

DEVICE TYPE [DISK | SBT] FORMAT
    RMAN> BACKUP DEVICE TYPE
    FORMAT
    BACKUPSET
    DELETE INPUT;

Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    oracle-support@indiatimes.com
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com

Thanks Rohit...

But my intention is to change the backupset location after the backup.
    In unix we achieves this my creating symbolic links.

If I lost my database server and I want to restore the database to another machine with a different file system, what to do?
    Database Administrator
    Convergys, Hyderabad, India

As far I understood RMAN features you can't change the backupset location after the backup.
    Providing that you have to recover, you will have to put RMAN backupset in the same directory structure.
    In case of a disaster recovery, if the new server doesn't have the same structure, you will have to :
    1/ recreate a structure of the backupset.
    2/
    a- If you can recreate the same structure for database
    b- If you can't do that, you will have first to restore the controlfile. Make the appropriate changes, then restore and recover your database.

Latyr