DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: (URGENT) Too many sessions

I have a few queries about sessions:-

1) what does 'ACTIVE' & 'INACTIVE' mean for sessions?

2) our system is showing too many active/inactive sessions even though the users claim they log in only once. How is this possible?

3) the users connect to the database thru an application. Could it be that the application is implicitly causing multiple sessions for a user?

4) even if a session is inactive, are the memory resources etc. still kept locked for the user or are they automatically released?

Would appreciate any help on this.

Thanks & regards
    Lynn

Lynn,

Background process running will show up as active sessions.

To restrict users from opening up too many sessions, create a profile and set SESSIONS_PER_USER for each unique user.
    Assign this profile to all your users.

Nizar

Hi

Inactive sessions , whereas the PMON is runing to cleanup the
    user transactions at the server.

yes it occupies memory , So you can kill the session use the dynamic perfromance view V$SESSION

Arun

if you are using an windows app then these appa open at least 2 session per PC

as far as active/inactive go, i'm pretty sure an ACTIVE session is only one who is in the middle of doing work. executing a statement, procedure, etc.

if i log onto sqlplus and let it sit there while you query sessions, mine will be INACTIVE. if i execute a query that takes 10 seconds, and you query sometime during those 10 seconds, i will be ACTIVE.

what applications are running against your database? some applications may make persistant connections.

The best way to get over the inactive sessions is to create a profile and set the session idle time to some where around 60 min. This way if some one keeps the sessions open and goes home for the day, you could remove them without any problem. Also as one of the other guys suggested set up the session limit and this way you could put a limit on the number of sessions that a user can open.

Good luck,
    Sam

Pando,
    You are right about windows apps taking up more than one session; I have seen it in practice. Could you elaborate on this a little though ? I mean why more than one session ?

Thanks,

- Rajeev

Thanks for your replies.

The application has been created using Developer. It is an online system for registration of businesses and also creating reports.
    I do not know the details of the system.. but could you'll elaborate when u'll said that windows appliations take up more than one session?

Thanks & regards
    Lynn

well in our company´s app it works like this:

when you run the application it will open one session just to show the "entry" of the application, the place where you select which form or report you want to use, then once you choose one option it will open another session, for example if one open a form to fill in an order, this will get 2 sessions per PC because everyone using this kind of aplication will have at least one form or report open and the main application

Thumbs up

Hi lynn,

As per ur request, sessions are nothing but the physical
    connection establised to oracle database. If u execute
    a long running updates or deletes against a table, the session will be
    active, this signifies that the table is locked during that
    process, simultaneously if another user issue a DML statements
    against the same table, his sessions also will be in active mode,
    and also it will be realsed only when former job is completed.
    this is the overall information, which provided. Default
    there are some oracle background process will be running as
    soon as the database instance started , theses session information
    will active thr' out for ever,until u shutdown the database.