DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle SQL Plus Web based

Oracle SQL Plus Web based

Hi all,

Need your help here

I need to have a sqlplus web based environment.
    Can you all guide me to prepare the environment and how to use it?

Thanks a lot people,

Robby

Re: Oracle SQL Plus Web based

How to install and configure iSQL*PLUS =======================================
    iSQL*Plus as a light weight, web enabled version of SQL*Plus released with as beta version for 8.1.7. Further functionality was added to the first production release, 9i Release 1 and more features of SQL*Plus 9iR2 include: better usability, more robustness and more scalability, available on UNIX, a command history, a SET command page, the style sheet is used in dynamic reports and "new" page output, EXIT terminates a script, iSQL*Plus server statistics are available, the text input area is resizable, better session handling, script cancelling. On Windows we are releasing iSE - "iSQL*Plus Shell Extension", to enable SQL files to be loaded to or executed by remote iSQL*Plus servers.

iSQL*Plus uses a three-tier architectural model comprising:
    I. Client Tier (iSQL*Plus user interface, typically a web browser). - Netscape Navigator 4.7 or later. - Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0 or later. Note : Your browser must be set to enable the use of JavaScript and cookies.

II. Middle Tier (iSQL*Plus Server, Oracle Net, and Oracle HTTP Server (OHS)).

III. Database Tier (Oracle9i).

I. Configuring the Client Tier
    Some web browsers may require you to either remove a MIME type definition or application association for files with a .SQL extension, or to create a MIME type or application association for files with a .SQL extension in order to load scripts into iSQL*Plus. For example, to set up an application extension for files with a SQL extension in Netscape Navigator 4.7 for Windows NT:

1. Select Preferences from the Edit menu.
    2. Select Applications from the Navigator menu tree.
    3. Click the New Type button. On the displayed form, enter Description of type: SQL files File extension: SQL MIME type: text/plain Application to use: notepad.exe Uncheck the "use this MIME as the outgoing default for this extension" If this is not set up in your web browser, you may get an error when you try to load scripts that iSQL*Plus cannot identify as text files.

2. Adding Proxy Server Exceptions
    ---------------------------------
    Some configurations of proxy servers may affect the ability of the iSQL*Plus user interface to connect with the iSQL*Plus Server. If you cannot connect with the iSQL*Plus Server, a browser alert "Document contains no data" is displayed when you try to load the iSQL*Plus Log In screen. If this situation occurs, you should reconfigure your proxy server or create a proxy exception in your browser for the OHS running iSQL*Plus. To configure the proxy exceptions setting in Netscape Navigator 4.7 for Windows

1. Select Preferences from the Edit menu.
    2. Select Proxies from the Advanced category.
    3. Select the Manual proxy configuration radio button.
    4. Click View. The Manual proxy configuration dialog is displayed. 5. Enter the OHS domain for which you do not want to use a proxy in the Exceptions pane.
    To configure the proxy exceptions setting in Microsoft Internet Explorer 5.0
    1. Select Internet Options from the Tools menu.
    2. Click Lan Settings in the Lan Settings pane on the Connections tab.
    3. Click Advanced in the Proxy Server pane. This is only available if Use a proxy server is selected.
    4. Enter "*." followed by the OHS domain for which you do not want to use a proxy in the Exceptions pane. for the Oracle HTTP Server (OHS) domain, host.domain, you must enter *.host.domain.

II. Configuring the Middle Tier
    1. Log in to the middle tier machine which is running the iSQL*Plus Server as the system administrator.
    2. Change directory to %ORACLE_HOME%\network\admin
    3. Open tnsnames.ora in a text editor.
    4. Add a new line to the end of file in the form: connection identifier = (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS_LIST=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=www.oracle.com) (PORT=1521)))(CONNECT_DATA=(SID=orashop))) Setting the iSQL*Plus Session TimeOut: You can edit the iSQL*Plus configuration file, isqlplus.conf, to change the lines affecting the timeout behavior. The syntax of the two lines to change in the configuration file is: iSQLPlusTimeOut {On|Off} iSQLPlusTimeOutInterval {n} The default is 60.

Changing the Default Cascading Style Sheet:
    To replace the default cascading style sheet
    1. Navigate to the %ORACLE_HOME%\sqlplus\admin\iplus\ directory.
    2. Rename the existing default style sheet from iplus.css to another name.
    3. Copy your new style sheet to the %ORACLE_HOME%\sqlplus\admin\iplus\directory.
    4. Rename your new style sheet to iplus.css.
    5. You may need to refresh your browser display to see the effects of your new style sheet.

Enabling or Disabling iSQL*Plus:
    You can edit the OHS configuration file to disable iSQL*Plus as follows :
    1. Stop the OHS.
    2. Change directory to the OHS configuration directory by entering: cd %ORACLE_HOME%\Apache\Apache\conf
    3. Open the oracle_apache.conf configuration file.
    4. Comment out the isqlplus.conf include line by inserting a # at the beginning of the line as follows: # include "ORACLE_HOME\sqlplus\admin\isqlplus.conf" Where ORACLE_HOME is the hard-coded path of your Oracle home directory. 5. Save your oracle_apache.conf file.
    6. Check your edits by parsing the edited configuration file. See "3. Testing the OHS Configuration file"
    7. When you next start the OHS, iSQL*Plus is disabled.
    To re-enable iSQL*Plus, reverse the edit to uncomment the include line in oracle_apache.conf.

2. Configuring the Oracle HTTP Server
    -------------------------------------
    Additional iSQL*Plus configuration information must be included in the OHS configuration file, httpd.conf, for the iSQL*Plus Server.There are two levels of include: - httpd.conf includes the Oracle9i configuration file, oracle_apache.conf - oracle_apache.conf includes the iSQL*Plus configuration file, isqlplus.conf. Changes are usually only made to: - oracle_apache.conf to enable OHS authentication at the User privilege level - isqlplus.conf to disable iSQL*Plus After making changes to isqlplus.conf, the top level OHS configuration file, httpd.conf, should be checked, and then the OHS stopped and started to implement the configuration file changes.

3. Testing the Oracle HTTP Server Configuration File
    -----------------------------------------------------
    To check the OHS configuration file, httpd.conf, and any included configuration files for errors :
    1. Open a Windows Command Prompt.
    2. Change directory to the OHS home directory by entering: cd %ORACLE_HOME%\Apache\Apache
    3. Parse the OHS httpd.conf configuration file by entering: apache -t Any errors in the configuration file are displayed or if there are no errors, the message "Syntax OK" is displayed.
    4. Starting and Stopping the Oracle HTTP Server
    -----------------------------------------------
    For changes to the OHS configuration file, httpd.conf, and any included configuration files to take affect, you must stop and restart the OHS if it is running. starting and stopping the OHS.
    To stop and start the OHS:
    1. Open a Windows Command Prompt.
    2. Change directory to the OHS home directory by entering: cd %ORACLE_HOME%\Apache\Apache\
    3. Stop the running OHS by entering: apache -k shutdown
    4. Start the OHS by entering apache -k start

III. Configuring the Database Tier ___________________________________
    Oracle9i is installed on the database tier. The database tier may be physically separate from the middle tier and accessed using Oracle Net, or it may be the same physical machine as used by the middle tier. For further information about configuring Oracle9i, see the Oracle9i documentation.

REGARDS
    Rohit S Nirkhe,Oracle/Apps DBA,OCP 8i/9i
    Thanks and Regards
    Rohit S Nirkhe
    rohitsnirkhe@rediffmail.com