DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oracle jobs drying up

Oracle jobs drying up

Oracle job market was pretty good last month based on the number of unsolicited calls every day from recruiters. They pick up the resume from one of the search sites and it was hectic. And it dried up suddenly since the first week of Feb.

Is Oracle dying again? Anyone has an idea how is the current market in US? What is the salary for a senior DBA?
    Remember the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules!
    ===================
    Kris109
    Ph.D., OCP 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g DBA

Has the "High End" Oracle market ever been revived? Sure, there are plenty of 40K jobs for Jr. guys out there, but when was the last time you looked at a six-figure job with a 20K signon?

IMHO, you can't judge the job market by the number of hits you get from a job search website. I know several people that got flooded when they put their resume on Monster or HotJob only to have things dry up a couple weeks later. Does that mean the job market changed that quickly or that recruiters just try to fit the fresh resumes into their job openings?
    Jeff Hunter

its looking not so bad in the UK, recruiters are starting to bite a bit more, salaries arent as high as they used to be - but they were over inflated anyway.

Agree There.

Don't Expect 80K salaries. You want higher salaries go up in the Sr. Managemernt/CEO etc.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Realrates.com has some self reported salary and hourly rate information, but it covers the entire I.T. spectrum, and it is a bit light in data.

Does anyone have another site that focuses on hourly rates?
    David Knight
    OCP DBA 8i, 9i, 10g

In Minneapolis, a plumber charges $100 an hour while a house cleaner charges about $35.

In comparison, an middle level oracle dba gets paid about $40/hr. Outsourceing basically gutted the oracle consulting market. Big oracle shops such as Best Buy, Target, Wells Fargo have contracts with outsourcing companies to bring in suitcase dba's at cheap rates. Worse, most managers at these companies gets bonuses based on how much cheap labor they used.

Wal-martization of oracle continues!! Next step is DBA wears a blue dress and works for federal minimum wage.
    ===================
    Kris109

That's why I say. Strike a deal with your current employer/client , dump the contractor and start picking up other skills. IT market is due to some huge upheavals and usurpations in the coming years, So don't rule out foul play.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---

Originally posted by kris109
    In Minneapolis, a plumber charges $100 an hour while a house cleaner charges about $35.
    The plumbing company gets $100, Not the Plumber. Plumber might get $20. It works the same way, IT consulting company gets $150 and you get $40 to $50 (min) and $75-$100 (max).

Thats how business works here and Comparisions are always relative...
    Reddy,Sam

Outsourcing + H1's + Freaking L1 visas... 1.3 million of those last year..

Insane..
    ===================
    Kris109

Originally posted by sreddy
    The plumbing company gets $100, Not the Plumber. Plumber might get $20. It works the same way, IT consulting company gets $150 and you get $40 to $50 (min) and $75-$100 (max).
    Unless, of course, you are the company
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE