DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: drop connection

What evidence do the network guys have that it is Oracle?
    If they have information which points towards Oracle then we should be told.

Actually now that I think about it, I'm not sure that logging in locally will bypass the network. Anyone?

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

this is the answer from network admin.

The Oracle Software is transmitting frames with invalid TCP checksums, the firewall's job is to detect malformed or out of the ordinary TCP frames/streams. When the Firewall detects a 'bad' frame it's function is to drop the frame and/or terminated the TCP conversation. Oracle has conveniently ignored this problem every time it has been run by them, and frankly I want a valid explanation as to why their software transmits frames with bad headers, please...THAT is why you are being disconnected. There are *NO* underlying network issues here. I have proven this repeatedly, furthermore the thousands of users that make TCP connections through the DOT firewall to the DOT DMZ without a problem every day lends irrefutable support to my point.

You have a firewall log which shows that Oracle is sending bad packets?
    Have you sent it to Oracle?

Originally posted by mehak
    this is the answer from network admin.

The Oracle Software is transmitting frames with invalid TCP checksums, the firewall's job is to detect malformed or out of the ordinary TCP frames/streams. When the Firewall detects a 'bad' frame it's function is to drop the frame and/or terminated the TCP conversation. Oracle has conveniently ignored this problem every time it has been run by them, and frankly I want a valid explanation as to why their software transmits frames with bad headers, please...THAT is why you are being disconnected. There are *NO* underlying network issues here. I have proven this repeatedly, furthermore the thousands of users that make TCP connections through the DOT firewall to the DOT DMZ without a problem every day lends irrefutable support to my point.
    Your network people are a bit sparky, aren't they?

So does Oracle only start sending these malformed or "out-of-the-ordinary" TCP frames/streams after 45 minutes or something?

It sounds, reading between the lines, as if this is some kind of known issue ("Oracle has conveniently ignored this problem every time it has been run by them..."). Does the NA mean "run by them by me" or "run by them by the firewall manufacturer" or "run by them by the entire networking community"?

You see this is either something that is only happening on your installation, in which case Oracle should do something about it, or it happens on every oracle installation, but the firewall is configured to be too anal about what it rejects (compared to every other firewall in the world that Oracle passes TCP through).
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Here ya go, use this to open a can of whoopass on your network admin

Last edited by stmontgo; 02-06-2004 at 02:38 PM.
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Perhaps developers are not the only people in need of frequent severe beatings?

I'll have to re-think my strategy.
    And clean my gun collection.

MH
    Last edited by Mr.Hanky; 02-06-2004 at 02:45 PM.

Originally posted by mehak

This guy definately needs a smackdown.

Save this E-mail, gather all your facts and then nail him to a cross. Unless of course he is correct, then you have some humble pie to eat.
    My manager would slap me if I sent out an E-mail like this.

MH

There's a guy i work with who was in the habit of typing email sentences in upper case all the time -- i told him to cut it out, because it meant he was shouting, right? He replied (via email, cc'ed to the whole team) "Whenever I've come across it before it just indicated excitement". What a jerk.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

I opened sql session on server and it never drop however the client session dropped exactly after 45 mins.
    Does that mean there is some sort of time restriction on the network port which is killing the session in the specified amount of time?