Cann't connect as SYSDBA
OS : HPUX 11i
DB : 806
The problem seems to have happened all of a sudden.
We have a server running 3 databases. "oracle" is the unix user that owns oracle installation and databases. Its in "dba" group.
I log in to the server as "oracle" user, set ORACLE_SID (through oraenv) and invoke "svrmgrl". When I say "connect internal" at the "SVRMGR>" prompt, it asks for "Password:" !! I don't think this has happened ever before. The databases are running there for last 4 years. When I try any password at the "Password:" prompt, it gives me "ORA-01031" error.
So far, going through all notes and documents, I have checked following things (Metalink Note 69642.1) :
01. The "oracle" user is really still in "dba" group.
02. The "dba" group entry exists in /etc/group and exists only once.
03. The config.c file indeed has "dba" as the group definition.
04. At our site "sqlnet.ora" doesn't exist. We don't use it.
05. Permissions on all *.ora files in $TNS_ADMIN directory are "-rw-r--r--".
06. ORACLE_HOME variable is defined correctly and the path exists.
07. ORACLE_SID is set to SID of an existing database that is running fine.
08. TWO_TASK is NOT set.
09. Permissions on "oracle" executable are indeed "rwsr-s--x".
10. File systems are mounted without "nosuid" option.
11. There are no extra shared mem segments (used ipcs -b).
12. Checked with Unix SAs if anything has changed at server level. "NO".
We had changed our SYS/SYSTEM passwords last week. We suspected that as a cause but, had that been the case, the failures in "connect internal" should have happened immediately after the password change.
There is remote authentication in use. The "remote_password_file" parameter is set to "none".
Another way I tested the things was : set ORACLE_SID, ran "sqlplus /". Works fine, connects successfully. When I say "conn sys as sysdba" at the "SQL>" prompt, it fails with same ORA-1031 error.
What am I missing ? And, how could I resolve this issue ? We have quite a few cron jobs and monitoring scripts that do "connect internal" and all of them are failing.
Hmm, something changed. Did you bounce your db (maybe for backup) and new init.ora parameters were used?
Apart from the SYS and SYSTEM passwords, nothing has changed. The databases are running there fine.
But then again, "nothing has changed" is just a feeling !! Something must have changed to cause this to happen.
Any inputs appreciated folks....
I have experienced this type of problem (svrmgrl and sqlplus / asking for password
unexpectedly) when the sqlnet.ora parameter AUTHENTICATION_SERVICES was set to "none". Make sure that it has a different value or is not set in your OraNet. This is one of the things that can cause the situation...
ok I see that you don't have a sqlnet.ora.. never mind on that one.
Try creating a new orapwd file, using a password you know. There is an article on MetaLink and at asktom about sync-ing up passwords with the orapwd file.
By chance, are you running a version of OraNet different than 8.0.6 ?
Stecal : I have tried recreating the password file. Didn't help. And I guess, that is expected.
saundman2000 : What is OraNet ?
sound stupid but maybe useful, can you try to reboot your hpux and maybe it works?
Click Here to Expand Forum to Full Width