DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Tuning the Apache HTTP Server?

Tuning the Apache HTTP Server?

Hello guys,

I was Reading The Fantastic Manual, when I tripped over the HTTP Server documentation of Apache. The documentation can be found on the Apache's site and the Oracle site.

I got kind of worried when I read the last two lines of the introduction:
    Note that this is tailored towards Apache 1.3 on Unix. Some of it applies to Apache on NT. Apache on NT has not been tuned for performance yet; in fact it probably performs very poorly because NT performance requires a different programming model.
    We use Oracle 8.1.7.x.x with Forms6 and the 8i IAS on MS Windows 2000 Server.

We didn't change the configuration files for performance tuning purposes. Does anyone have experience in this field? (I really don't)

Does anyone use a different HTTP server for a forms-application?

I'm looking for the well-known setting "SET APPLICATION_SPEED=TURBO"...

Any advice is welcome (internet doesn't give too many tips...)

regards,

Erik
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Hi

I have seen many sites running Apache on windows with oracle,sybase and php no problems at all.The perforamnce was as good as IIS the webserver shipped with Windoze..On various benchmark tests we ran we concluded the following for our applications..

Remmber these are mostly banking applications workflow type so these applications parse=execute

Apache performs serving sttaic HTTP pages very well on windoze NT .serving dynamic html pages was greatly enhanced by using zend caching engine..IIS was same.

However Apache on Unix/Linux rather outperformed apache on unix by atleaset 33-45% of the times..

With the applications written in Java we had the same results (which you can compare Oracle apps)Only thing was we served dynamic HTMl pages with Tomcat.

Ortacle ships with higkly eeficient containers for Java called OC4J for serving JSP pages..

Bottom line you dont need to set any parameter while serving static webpages from Apache running on windows NT .The only downside is it is not efficient as Apache on Linux..Tahts what the document actually means..

Dynamic web pages are nayway being served by aservlet containers like OC4J or Tomcat in our case..so taht should take care of any performance issues

so dont worry :-)

I wish we had that parameter ;-)

regards
    Hrishy