DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Who Should Support The Databases

Question Who Should Support The Databases

In my company we have outsourced Operations Support to one vendor and Application Support to another. Things relatively ok with arrangement except with DB Administration Support. By default we have given the System DB support to the Ops vendor (install Oracle/Sybase/Informix, apply patches, DB backups, etc.), while the Application DB Administration (tables, data manipulation, etc.) has gone to the App vendor. Over the years, new technology has begun merging the lines between where Operational DB support should end and App DB support begins. We are now challenged with having to define the gray area where system support ends and application support begins. Any idea's as to how to define this seperation of responsibilities? Pros/Cons to not seperating the DB Administration support in this fashion?

Do you have examples of situations that have been difficult to manage?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Well, in my shop we have two departments that support the DB. One handles the instance and the tablespaces created on install. So anything regarding the instance (memory, oracle re-boot, upgrades, installs) they would be responsible for. That also includes RBS, system and temp tablespaces.

The other half supports applications and handles all the physical stuff. Tables, indexes, imp/emp, tablespaces and application releases.

This "division" has benefits and drawbacks, if I get paged at 4am and there is a problem with the TEMP tablespace, I can't touch it, so some other poor schmuck will get paged over this, silly but those are the rules. The other problem is that you tend to feel like 1/2 a DBA.
    It can also be complicated when you have to co-ordinate with 3 or more seperate groups (let's not forget the OS sys admin) to do an upgrade.

I'm still thinking of the benefits....????

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    I'm still thinking of the benefits....????
    $$$'s?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Slimdave & Mr. Hanky,
    Thanks for the feedback! Mr. Hanky, do you and I work in the same shop , the environment here is about the same as you describe. Over time we have moved some applications which had split support all to the Application DBA team, which "resulted in reduced costs". The confusion comes about as we move into CRM, PeopleSoft, Oracle ERP, and Siebel applications, where it is felt by the business that tighter integration with the OS & DB system's justify the need for DBA's skilled in both Oracle and let's say SAP. We are charged with defining the lines of delineation as to when a App should have DBA functions split or all support given to one or the other Support ogrnization. We currently have a cup full of everything: Ops DBA & App DBA, Ops DBA Only (Does application DBA functions), Application DBA Only (Does system DBA functions). Now we need to clean up the mess.

Send everything to India!
    Jeff Hunter

there is just me here so i get to do everything.
    someone pass me that CV

Wink

Thanks all for the feedback, including the send it all to India, which in this case is not far fetched, since we are in a trial with the Application provider to do just that . In any case, our model is coming together, such that the DB Support would for the most part stay split between the two org's, but there would be guidelines for where it is okay to have the Application Development provider perform all DBA functions when specialized apps are involved. Now I'm off the Middleware, talk at ya later.