DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rman config with veritas

Rman config with veritas

Hi all,

I know someone would have successfully installed & configured veritas netbackup and oracle.I have done this before using TDP & TSM.But Veritas config is new to me.

Can someone through somelight of their exp like how to config etc.

We have a HP DLT tape drives which can accomodate 9 tape.
    We have got Veritas Netbackup 4.5 software.

Could please tell me that does it veritas netbackup for oracle agent as additioal to it.

Share your exp pls.

thanks

This is a wide open question! What dB version? Ur thinking RMAN right?

Will you write an RMAN script controlled by O/S or OEM and go to disk or directly to tape? Or will you customize the sample scripts by Veritas, create a policy that interfaces with RMAN, thereby being controlled by Netbackup? In the later you will need to install and configure Netbackup's Oracle extension.

What I do is control RMAN through a UNIX script cron, go directly to disk and that image is immediately copied to tape via a Netbackup policy. HTH

You need to configure Netbackup's Oracle extension any time u go from RMAN directly to tape.

The only time u don't need the extension is RMAN to disk, and then Netbackup copying the image from disk.

Hi,

when i say that i want to use veritas netbackup & oracle ,it clearly says that i wanted to take to tape.Anyway Oracle with veritas netbackup.

Please read my Q again

thanks

yeah, the rman part was in ur subject line.

U can set up a Netbackup policy where Netbackup controls the scheduling and invokes the script to activate rman. This script was customized from a sample script provided by Veritas.

You also can set up a script that is scheduled through a cron. It is a typical unix script, invokes rman and runs the rman commands.

Both methods go directly to tape so you will need the Oracle extension.

Can someone through somelight of their exp like how to config etc.
    These are the two ways I have configured rman - one scheduled in a Netbackup policy, the other a cron. Both work fine. Most system Admins prefer method one. The DBA's I have worked with prefer Method 2.

The Veritas documentation is very well written!

It is easy to configure Veritas.As they have a seperate agent installed on a server where all the backup policies including the tape management is done.On each server where u need to take the bakcup of the DB will be installed a Veritas client.Veritas is supplied with Prebuilt scripts which need to be modified as per ur organisation needs.Before implementing on propduction do it on development.

thanks for your reply guys.But still you havent got my Question.I am not asking in what way we can backup using rman.I am looking for the necessary things which needs to config rman with vertias software.

we have got a HP DLT tape drives & solaris box.Now what all needed to configure with veritas.

Do we need Veritas server to be installed on unix server and config tape drives & then install veritas client as well as veritas for oracle agent to work.

could someone gimme what are needed from veritas point to config.

thanks

It's not me that responsible for confguring the NetBackup media and master servers here so can't give to much detail. I get the impression from your last post your Unix box that houses the db will also be the NetBackup server? I understand from our SA that providing Unix can see the tape drives (e.g. iocan -funC tape, or whatever) configuring NetBackup is fairly straight forward e.g. install and do a device discovery.

What I can tell you is that, yes, you need the Oracle agent installed on your database server. And this is true even when the db server is also the NetBackup master server. Installing the agent is easy, you just run a shell script and then run the oracle_link script that is created during the install. The install guide is very helpful. Once this is done you're ready to go assuming that your media server is set up correctly. To create a script suitable for NetBackup to run via the master server take a look at the examples in /usr/openv/netbackup/dbext/samples/oracle.

HTH

Austin

Can someone tell me whatz is:

1)Veritas Netbackup for Unix
    2)Veritas Netbackup DataCenter for Unix.

We have got both in our veritas bundle.Do we still need veritas agent for oracle to config with rman.Is vertias agent is MML???

My understanding is ption 1 is Server version option 2 is veritas client.

advise pls.

Cheers

Your understanding is wrong.
    Veritas has different options.In my place we are using Veritas Netbackup Data centre.Which has 2 options one which is installed on a seperate server away from Database server.This server is called as MAster server where all the MML are configured and also including ur policies.The 2nd option is called agent(client) is installed on the Database server where u will have sample scripts which u need to modify.