DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: OCP 8 or 8i or 9i?

Unhappy

Friends,
    I am planning for the OCP now and I am wondering what is the best (and safer) approach for a person without any DBA experience. I am conversant with Oracle 8.0 and have some knowledge of 8i. so the question is whether to go for 8i corepath or mixed release path? Because I have access to 8.0 ILTs, suppose if I clear the core exams for Oracle 8 in next 4 months(and put off the upgrade exam for some time), can I still claim the OCP tag? how much difference it really makes when it comes to securing a job, whether one is a 8.0 DBA or 8i DBA? And when is this 9i expected in the market? With 9i around, I am sure companies will look for atleast 8i certified than 8.0. Could someone please clarify?

Thanks in Advance
    Shubha

9i is scheduled for first quarter 2001 which means OCP for 9i will start in 2002 <g>

I have OCP for 7.3, 8.0, and 8i. The company I'm currently negotiating with is primarily interested in the 8.0 since that is what they're using. I believe having ANY OCP is to your credit - but it is just as important to be able to match whatever it is your potential employer is interested in.
    Since you have the materials and knowledge for 8.0, that is what I would recommend you try for. Once that is attained, it is just one exam to upgrade to 8i. This not only allows you to match what employers are looking for, but also expands your resume by another line/certification.