DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: LMT versus DMT on system tablespace

I think a read on this wouldnt be too bad

http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...01.htm#1004891

Originally posted by jmodic
    Oh boy. Would you read again what you have written?

So let me tell you what I know (not what I think) what happens to the following objects created by a user that has being imported in user-level import:

- user-created public synonyms: nothing happens to them, they are not being imported along with the rest of the objects

-database roles: nothing happens to them, they are not being imported along with the rest of the objects

- profiles: nothing happens to them, they are not being imported along with the rest of the objects

- directories: nothing happens to them, they are not being imported along with the rest of the objects

- application contexts: nothing happens to them, they are not being imported along with the rest of the objects

So what have confused you?
    Is directory an object? Is role or profile an object? Of course you precreate these when you create the users (before the import).
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Originally posted by julian
    Is directory an object?
    Typical!

When you realize you have written the dummiest silliest thing, you start your hair-splitting. A simple "I addmit, I was wrong, I wasn't thinking, too early in the morning, brains not working yet, ...." would do just as good. Ah, well....

And just FYI (to prevent further embarasement) - yes, directory certanly is an object. You'd be surprised to find them in DBA_OBJECTS with a predicate "WHERE object_type = 'DIRECTORY'", wouldn't you?

As far as roles or profiles are concerned - well, in the context of the import/export discusion I think ther's nothing wrong with calling them "objects". Or would you prefere more puristic term like "database elements"? Or do you have some other term in mind?

If you had followed pando's advice and do some reading on the link he provided, you would have found out that in Oracle's own imp/exp manuals they are refering to all those "types of database elements" simply as database objects. Including roles and profiles.
    Last edited by jmodic; 01-17-2004 at 04:10 PM.
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

Are you passive agressive or what :-) Calm down! OK, directory is an object but roles and profles are not. As I said you just have to recreate them along with the user and do the import.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Are you passive agressive or what :-)
    Am I? Gee, I knew I was reading too much Mr.Hanky here. Shouldn't do this anymore.

Although I allways felt it's not (just) the developers that need to be shot sometimes - now and then a shotgun should be vigorously used against a fellow DBA too. Without any hasitation
    Jurij Modic
    ASCII a stupid question, get a stupid ANSI
    24 hours in a day .... 24 beer in a case .... coincidence?

COMPRESS=Y will have only one impact: it causes the import to flag table data for consolidation into one INITIAL EXTENT.

The concept doesn't work for tables in Locally Managed Tablespaces. The COMPRESS=Y operation is ignored for segments in Locally Managed Tablespaces.
    Julian, even in LMT tablespace, the compress=y is still bad.It will create a segment with the full size of that exported table.

For example, you have an empty table with initial=10m next=10m minextents=5 ,and you exported it with compress=Y(the default).
    When you import it into the new db(with LMT uniform=1m), oracle will create 50 extents for that empty table.
    www.cnoug.org

OK, directory is an object but roles and profles are not.
    Why not, they are as well Objects as if u consider USER/SCHEMA as an object ( Well they indeed are Objects in context to ORACLE DB..are'nt they ??)

Well u need OOPS concepts i guess :-)
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"