DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: insert/update/delete vesus archive log mode

Hybrid View

insert/update/delete vesus archive log mode

If we turn off the archive log log, will the INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE process will be faster????

Nope.
    All the DML activity will be recorded in the redo logs either you run your database in ArchiveLog or in NoArchiveLog. You may only see problems in case of archive log mode when your redo logs are small in size and ARCH process cannot keep up with LGWR.
    OCP 7.3,8.0,8i,9i

Like many prople you are confused about archiving and redo. Each is controlled by a different backgroud process do not affect each other. However if you disable archiving while the database in archive log mode, eventually all the redo log groups fill up and the database will hang.
    Remember the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules!
    ===================
    Kris109
    Ph.D., OCP 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g DBA

The big question you need to ask yourself is do you need PIT recovery. If so, you need to turn on the archive log mode.

As far as performance on the ARCH process, there are ways to tune so it won't be an issue.

However in case of big load job like an import, you will want to turn off the archive log mode due to large space consumption, then turn it on afterwards.

Originally posted by james_cc
    However in case of big load job like an import, you will want to turn off the archive log mode due to large space consumption, then turn it on afterwards.
    A more robust approach would be to import in a nologging mode, followed by a full backup, no?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Nologging on tables or tablespace does not disable import logging. James_cc is correct in saying that for slow imports, putting database in noarchivelog mode improves performance. Of course, the missing logs make the previous backups useless for complete recovery and a new full backup must be taken.
    Remember the Golden Rule - He who has the gold makes the rules!
    ===================
    Kris109
    Ph.D., OCP 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g DBA

Originally posted by kris109
    Nologging on tables or tablespace does not disable import logging. James_cc is correct in saying that for slow imports, putting database in noarchivelog mode improves performance. Of course, the missing logs make the previous backups useless for complete recovery and a new full backup must be taken.
    Ah, you were talking about Import the utility -- I interpreted it as the generic process of loading external data, as through SQL*Loader or whatever. Okey dokey.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE