Hello All

I am currently planning migrating my 8.1.7.3 database (soon to be 8.1.7.4) on HP-UX 11 64bit to locally managed tablespaces with uniform extent allocation (create new tablespace and move all segments to the appropriate new tablespace). I plan to have a small, medium, large, and huge tablespace for each application schema (JD Edwards OneWorld XE). Any segments that exceed 'huge' will go to it's own tablespace.

Segments up to 50 Mb - 1 Mb Extents - SMALL
Segments up to 500 Mb - 10 Mb Extents - MEDIUM
Segments up to 5000 Mb - 100 Mb Extents - LARGE
Segments up to 50000 Mb - 1000 Mb Extents - HUGE

DB_BLOCK_SIZE is 8K and DB_FILE_MULTIBLOCK_READ_COUNT IS 8K, so each extent size is a multiple of 64 Kb.

I've had a look at how many segments each tablespace will contain after the re-org, and some of the SMALL tablespaces will have over 6000 segments (a lot of these will have no data). My question is are there any known issues with having a large number of segments in a single tablespace. I'm not aware of having heard of any but I'm just wondering.

I know there is an an argument for limiting the number of segments per tablespace so it is easier to balance IO, but I don't think this applies in my case. The database sits on an EMC Symetrix disk array with raid 0+1 with a SAME configuration e.g. all files are striped and across all available spindles. Therefore, if the HP-UX max. datafile size permits, I'll just create one datafile per tablespace.

Any advice appreciated

Thanks

Austin