DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Installing Oracle 7 16bit Client on Windows Server 2003?

Installing Oracle 7 16bit Client on Windows Server 2003?

Hi there.

We are running a warehouse application on a Windows 2000 Server and the clients access it via a Thin Client which is logged into a Windows 2000 Terminal Server. The Warehouse application and the 16bit Oracle 7 Client are installed on each Terminal Server.

We are testing a Windows 2003 Terminal Server and are having problems installing the Oracle 7 Client. Before I go into the details the first thing that obviously springs to mind is maybe you can't install the 16bit Oracle 7 Client in Windows 2003 but I could find no definate information either way.

On the first installation we ran Setup, chose English as the Language, typed in the company name and left the Oracle Home as c:\orawin. At this stage it asked us to add a line to autoexec.bat which we usually do, but due to a mis-read we said No. As there was no Back option at the Installation type we cancelled and started the Setup again. When we got back to the Installation Type we chose to install the Oracle7 Client. The installation windows shows the message "Analysing Dependencies" and then we get an Notification saying clrn80.vrf(0): FILE_NOT_FOUND while verifying clrn80 and then clicking OK cancels the installation.

We tried removing the entry from autoexec.bat and deleting the existing c:\orawin folder but still the same.

So... It could be that you can't install this client on Windows 2003. Maybe some files from the initial installation are causing the problem.

If anyone can point me in the right direction to solve this I would be extremely greatful.

Rob Jeffries
    Systems Administrator / Support Analyst
    Jackson Building Centres
    Last edited by talizker; 01-08-2004 at 11:38 AM.

Hi Rob,

The Certification Matrix on Metalink suggests that Oracle 7 Client
    is not certified for 2003, which is no surprise really.

What you may be able to do is copy the c:\orawin directory from another client or server where the install works. This will get you around the installation problem but you still might have problems with running the client, but you can only try.

Fortunately the usage of the windows registry for version 7 is very limited and you can usually run it by copying from one machine to another.

HTH
    John

How come you need the v7 client? It'sa bit obsolete.
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

Originally posted by slimdave
    How come you need the v7 client? It'sa bit obsolete.
    At present it is a requirement of the Data Warehouse software. We are in the process of arranging a new version but it could take some time so it's the 16bit v7 client only right now i'm afraid.

Originally posted by talizker
    At present it is a requirement of the Data Warehouse software. We are in the process of arranging a new version but it could take some time so it's the 16bit v7 client only right now i'm afraid.
    * glurk *

A data warehouse on v7? what software is that, if i may ask?
    David Aldridge,
    "The Oracle Sponge"

Senior Manager, Business Intelligence Development
    XM Satellite Radio
    Washington, DC

Oracle ACE

I am not 100% about all the details but the client is Dispatcher-WMS 6.2.0 by LIS. The Server actually runs with Oracle 8.1.7.0, but at present the [16bit] Dispatcher Client needs the Oracle 7 Client. We will be moving to 1 32bit version of Dispatcher at some point this year which will allow us to go to the Oracle 8.x client...