DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ORADIM, ORADIM???????????

Exclamation

I am studying oracle DBA (on my home computer) and I have pretty much tried almost all aspect of DB Administration and they work great. I am running Oracle 8i(8.1.5) Enterprise edition on NT. But lately, I have been hearing the word ORADIM a lot. Can any body please tell me what it is and its purpose? And how come I have missed it though, I think I have practised all aspects of DB Administration.

Oradim is an Oracle utility that creates a Service for the db on NT.

thanks, but can you please explain how it works and why you have to use it. I tought the service is created automatically after you have installed the software.

If a db is created upon install of Oracle, it creates the service to the db by itself. If you were to create a db from scratch, you have to create a service to the db, before you actually create the db.

Yes, imagine you want another database, you can use the wizard..who uses ORADIM :)
    Someone has noted that starting and shutting down a database starts the process ORADIM?
    Ramon Caballero, DBA, rcaballe@yahoo.com

Yes,

There are a lot of people who still use oradim to start, shutdown, create or edit an instance.

If everybody used the assistant to create a service/instance, why in gods name do they require DBA's?

Nizar

I am sorry if my question angered you. You don't have to take this personnal. I don't know the answer that is why I'm asking? I thought the purpose of this board is to share ideas.

Well, I started using Oracle from 8i, may be that is why. Anyway, I was just told there is no Oradim in 8i. That could also be the factor.

thanks.

[Edited by learn on 11-11-2000 at 11:23 AM]

huh?? I wonder who said that there is no Oradim in 8i. I have a few 815 dbs on NT. All services to the db have been created using Oradim. I would think that w/o Oradim, one cannot create a service to the db.

Hi Halo.
    Can you please explain ORADIM to me? I am really getting confused on this. I have been using Database config Assistant to create the databases so I have never had to use Oradim. Can you please explain step by step when it has to be used, why it has to be used, etc. Also if there is any link or url that has information on Oradim, can you give it to me?

Talking

Ok, let me see if I can explain this in a good way. Oradim is an Oracle utility that creates a Service to a db. If a db is created upon install, or if you use Database Assistant to create a db, it will automatically use this utility to create a service to the db upon creation of the db. If you double click on the Services icon in Control Panel, you will see all the services that are available to the machine. If a machine has a db running on it, you will see a service by the name of OracleService(SID) with a manual or automatic startup type. If the startup is set to automatic, the db will shutdown/startup whenever the machine is restarted, else you will have to shutdown/startup manually.
    -
    Example of Oradim to create a service for an 8i db:(to be typed at command prompt) --->
    ORADIM -NEW -SID (DB_NAME) -INTPWD ORACLE -STARTMODE AUTO -PFILE (PATH_OF_PFILE) ---> This creates a service to a db with an automatic startup.