DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Shared Pool setttings in init file

Shared Pool setttings in init file

Hello all..

Oracle 817/Sun 5.8

I changed my Shared pool settings from 4MB to 16MB in OEM. After making the changes, OEM prompted me to restart the Database which i did thru OEM.

NExt, i went to Sun Command prompt and opened the init file to see if the values are updated. But init file still has
    shared_pool_size = 4194304

How do i know if the DB is using 16MB or 4MB ?...also..do i have to make the changes again in init file ?...

I do see 2 init files ...one in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/cquest/initcquest.ora and other in
    /opt/oracle/oradata/mnt1/app/oracle/admin/cquest/initcquest.ora.

Any help is appreciated.

ron

In which parameter file did u check for shared_pool_size. U can also see all the values of the parameter file by login into sqlplus using sys account and executing "show parameter"

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

I checked for shared poo1 size in /opt/oracle/oradata/mnt1/app/oracle/admin/cquest/pfile/initcquest.ora

there is another initfile for the same instance at /opt/oracle/oradata/mnt1/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/initcquest.ora.

Both these places , it shows Shared pool as 4MB, but OEM shows as 16MB. Also Show parameter gives
    shared_pool_size string 16777216

so i am littel confused...do i have to manually update these 2 init files to make everytthing in sync ?.

Thanks in advance
    Ron

Note to Jr. DBA's, this is why you shouldn't use a GUI until you fully understand what's going on.

Your init.ora has a shared pool size of 4M. Assuming your database was started with a shared pool bigger than 4M, my guess is that OEM used a different parameter file to start your database with a larger shared pool.
    Jeff Hunter

when ever u do a startup of database without specifiying the pfile parameter, oracle will use the parameter file in $ORACLE_HOME/dbs/

Also search for this init file in another location of the system and check the shared_pool_size there, probably OEM might be using this file

regards
    anandkl
    anandkl

I checked for shared poo1 size in /opt/oracle/oradata/mnt1/app/oracle/admin/cquest/pfile/initcquest.ora

there is another initfile for the same instance at /opt/oracle/oradata/mnt1/app/oracle/product/8.1.7/dbs/initcquest.ora.

Both these places , it shows Shared pool as 4MB, but OEM shows as 16MB. Also Show parameter gives
    shared_pool_size string 16777216

so i am littel confused...do i have to manually update these 2 init files to make everytthing in sync ?.

Thanks in advance
    Ron

Originally posted by marist89
    Your init.ora has a shared pool size of 4M. Assuming your database was started with a shared pool bigger than 4M, my guess is that OEM used a different parameter file to start your database with a larger shared pool.
    Jeff Hunter

Check if you have parameter file under $ORACLE_BASE/admin/$ORACLE_SID/pfile directory.