DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Resize Partitions

Question Resize Partitions

We have a development database that matches our production environment. In the production environment we have a partitioned table that is partitioned by month since july 2000. We have to have all of the same partitions in development eventhough we don't have anything in them so that the tables match so we can move data from production to development with an export/import command. The question I have is how do we resize the development partitions. We only keep production data in the last three months. For example, I have a Jan 2002 partition with 1000M. I want to truncate the partition and make it 512K. What do I do? Any ideas? Thanks.

alter table xyz truncate partition jun_2001;
    Jeff Hunter

The Initial Extent is to big

This still leaves the initial extent that is to big 50M. We want to bring that down to as small as possible.

you cannot modify the initial extent of an object, drop it and re-create it if you want to do that

you could use partition exchange and replace your segment having a large extent by a new empty segment having a small extent

Regards
    Mike

alter table xxx move partition yyy storage (initial ...)
    Tomaž
    "A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely
    foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools" - Douglas Adams