DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: 2004 and DBA's

2004 and DBA's

Hi,

This is what i found on Searchdatabases website

http://searchdatabase.techtarget.com...ml?track=NL-76

I think thats true. Life as a DBA is getting more and more easy in terms of doing the Job but harder in terms of saving the Job.

What do you say

-Ron
    Ronnie
    ronnie_yours@yahoo.com

You can if you think you can.

As with any position, if it is getting easier for you, you've probably hit a wall.

Sure, the mundane day-to-day tasks are getting easier, but that should give you more time to do things you should be doing but never had the time.

Sending jobs offshore will continue to be an issue through 2006 when DBA salaries progress back to the mean and companies realize that the cost savings are highly exaggerated for outsourcing. In addition, security concerns in the offshore countries will make security-minded companies think twice before they send data offshore.
    Jeff Hunter

"prove to management that they do more than simple back up and restore"

Hmm, lucky me I have only done that 4 or 5 times in whole career life so I guess my job's saved

Cliches, cliches, cliches...

"Finally, two trends will threaten the exalted position of the DBA as the highly compensated super-guru: 1) All the major DBMS products are moving toward automation of traditional DBA tasks and 2) offshore outsourcing will increase. So not only do DBAs have to master a myriad of technical and business skills, they will increasingly have to defend their jobs and prove to management that they do more than simple back up and restore. Simple, huh?"

"Up yours", is what I would answer to that.
    Oracle Certified Master
    Oracle Certified Professional 6i,8i,9i,10g,11g,12c
    email: ocp_9i@yahoo.com

Don't hold back Julian, tell us how you really feel.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Originally posted by julian
    "Up yours", is what I would answer to that.
    Are you saying your not happy with that statement Julian

Didn't they say all this when 9i was about to be released? I'd like to remain in my exhalted position for long as possible, or until it really hurts
    Jim
    Oracle Certified Professional
    "Build your reputation by helping other people build theirs."

"Sarcasm may be the lowest form of wit but its still funny"

Click HERE to vist my website!

Re: 2004 and DBA's

Originally posted by ronnie
    What do you say
    An increase in offshore outsourcing and the advent of database management automation tools are likely to have an even greater impact on DBAs. Traditional DBA jobs will become scarce, and those positions that are available will require DBAs to acquire new business skills. DBAs will not only have to manage the database, but also application development, operating systems support, network support, etc. Until the economy recovers, DBAs should be prepared to wear several hats if they want to keep a job, or find a new one.

So, Be ready to change hats...
    Reddy,Sam

Re: Re: 2004 and DBA's

Originally posted by sreddy
    An increase in offshore outsourcing and the advent of database management automation tools are likely to have an even greater impact on DBAs. Traditional DBA jobs will become scarce, and those positions that are available will require DBAs to acquire new business skills. DBAs will not only have to manage the database, but also application development, operating systems support, network support, etc. Until the economy recovers, DBAs should be prepared to wear several hats if they want to keep a job, or find a new one.

So, Be ready to change hats...
    Yes and No..

This is to general a comment and is speaking to the smaller company.
    My only exposure has been in a large company where even the DBA responsibilities are split between two different departments. There is simply no way that any one person will be responsible for the databases, the network and the operating system in a company that has 350,000 + employees. In a small shop, yes, that is possible. That is why I take these “articles” with a grain of salt. Every DBA has a specific situation and none of these articles can cover everyones situation.

MH
    I remember when this place was cool.

Re: Re: Re: 2004 and DBA's

Originally posted by Mr.Hanky
    Yes and No..

This is to general a comment and is speaking to the smaller company.
    My only exposure has been in a large company where even the DBA responsibilities are split between two different departments. There is simply no way that any one person will be responsible for the databases, the network and the operating system in a company that has 350,000 + employees. In a small shop, yes, that is possible. That is why I take these “articles” with a grain of salt. Every DBA has a specific situation and none of these articles can cover everyones situation.

MH
    The Man does make sense now and then

Finally, two trends will threaten the exalted position of the DBA as the highly compensated super-guru: 1) All the major DBMS products are moving toward automation of traditional DBA tasks and 2) offshore outsourcing will increase. So not only do DBAs have to master a myriad of technical and business skills, they will increasingly have to defend their jobs and prove to management that they do more than simple back up and restore. Simple, huh?
    And BTW....

[1] If you were doing just backup and restore scenario's, you were never a "true" DBA.
    [2] A curious DBA(which in my opinion is the "Real" DBA) will do anything and everything to know why things are happenning and what are their implications and that to my thinking is analytical skills which you need to be able to hone(if you don't have yet) your business skills.
    [3] technical skills, well you better be very good. Right from my first stint a a DBA I was drawn to the nebulae of the development circles and there is no way you can avoid it if you're a "Real DBA". Learning development languages is a beginning to become a must than just a "plus factor".
    [4] Off shore outsourcing for all the commercial shops whore driven by (myopic)goals and regressive cost driven strategy may work but not on a long term. Best form of defence is offence. Eventually you'll sink with this boat. And these will be the companies who will go into the Gartner's prediction.

Bottom line is : DBA job will remain as long as DBMS are there. And I don't see them going anywhere.

Cheers...

Tarry
    Last edited by Tarry; 01-07-2004 at 06:44 AM.
    Tarry Singh
    I'm a JOLE(JavaOracleLinuxEnthusiast)
    TarryBlogging
    --- Everything was meant to be---