Oracle ODBC Access through Access Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Oracle ODBC Access through Access

Oracle ODBC Access through Access

Good day,
    I'm stuck allowing a user direct access to the db from outside of our firewall through ODBC and have run into a problem.

The user can connect through sql*plus fine and can even test the odbc connection (through data sources "test connection") but when they try and connect through MS ACCESS they get no listener (ORA-12541). Looking in the listener log of the server I can see the successfuly sql*plus connection but nothing logged for the Access attemp

I would be suspicious that the firewall has not been adequately modified but they can connect through sql*plus. Does odbc connect any differently than net8? I mean odbc using the net8 tnsnames, correct?

Any thoughts? tks

I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Yes, the ODBC rides on top of SQL*Net. If they can connect via sqlplus, they should be able to connect via ODBC. I would check:
    1. there isn't multiple Oracle clients installed on the workstation. This might give you multiple tnsnames.ora files and ORACLE_HOMEs which could confuse ODBC.
    2. If your firewall is using a SQL*Net proxy, you're probably OK. However, if it is just using a port redirect, you will probably have to use something like Connection Manager.
    3. If it's not an environment issue on the client, I would get your network guys involved. It sounds like a firewall issue to me, but it's strange that sqlplus connects fine.
    Jeff Hunter
    Get Firefox!
    "I pledge to stop eating sharks fin soup and will not do so under any circumstances."