DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Utl_File over network

Utl_File over network

I need to use Utl_File to, read/open files and write files over network to a directory which is on another machine.

Basically I have two servers A and B on which the DB resides (RAC 9i2), and one server C which has my application runnign and which connects to the two DB servers over the network.

The directory on which the read and write should happen is on the application server.

Let me know if the above can be done?

Hi

whats the OS ?

regards
    Hrishy

yeah what is the os and the db version
    I'm stmontgo and I approve of this message

Hi.

UNIX and Linux, just mount the remote filesystem using NFS or Samba. The Oracle server will treat the remote filesystem like it's own as long as the permissions are OK. You shoul be able to use UTL_FILE ok.

Windows 2000, map a network drive to the app server and use UTL_FILE to write to it.

Windows NT 4.0, No way There is an unfixed bug in this version of windows which prevents Oracel writing to a mapped drive.

Cheers

Tim...
    Tim...
    OCP DBA 7.3, 8, 8i, 9i, 10g, 11g
    OCA PL/SQL Developer
    Oracle ACE Director
    My website: oracle-base.com
    My blog: oracle-base.com/blog

You will have a problem with UTL_FILE in the default NT setup because the WinNT user SYSTEM can not access network drives. A solution is to run the Instance (and possibly Listener) NT services as a non-SYSTEM WinNT user, member of the local administrators group and with "log on as a service" priviledge. It works for both mapped drives and "url" format. (I tested with 8.1.7.4 under NT 4.0 SP6a). You should think about impact of password changes though!