DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Terrabyte DB backup time inputs needed

Terrabyte DB backup time inputs needed

Hi All

I have a database here that is nearly 1 TB..curently the hardwrae it runs on is 8gb Ram and 2 Cpu 1000Mhz Hp-Ux machine..it takes almost 15hours for the backup.we are running oracle7.3.4 but plan to migrate it to oracle 9.2..I am more worried about the backup time..Is anybody running a terrabyte database OLTP type..wherein we need to take a RMAN backup preferrably and what sort of backup startegy you have employed incremental ,cummulative ? for a TerraByte Database ?How much time does it take to backup and your hardwrae specs ..would be helpful when we tender a new hardware.

regards
    Hrishy

The database I look after (64bit 8i, HP-UX 11 64bit N Class 4 x CPU, 6GB RAM) is currently 615GB so we're not quite at the terrabyte yet. During our DR testing one obvious issue that arose was the time it took to restore the database. I was confidently told by one of the HP DR engineers that with a SAN backbone upgrade and a new tape library we could do full backups in around 3 hours. We got a new tape library (ADIC Scalar i2K) and have got the full backups down to 12 hours using NetBackup/RMAN with two channels (more channels slowed it down as the network upgrade to 2 gigabit has not happened yet, and we can't get the throughput for more than 2 channels). Once the network upgrade has happened we'll move to 4 channels so I hope the full backup will go down to the extent that I can do nightly full backups. For the moment we do nightly incrementals and a weekly full. Archive logs are backed up every 3 hours.

Hope this helps

Austin

Hi Austin

Thanks for the info..how fast are the CPU's .That sounds like a cool solution that the Hp enginner estimated a 3 hour window..

would love to see other people pouring in their thoughts..and also there set up details

regards
    Hrishy

Sun 10K, Symmetrix BCV, 1.2TB, takes around 20 minutes

Sun 480 4x1.2Ghz 500G to NFS mounted disk over Gbit Ethernet:
    full backup: 5 hours
    incremental backup: 1 hour
    Jeff Hunter

Hrishy

The CPU are 4 x PA8600 1.5MB 550MHz

Austin

Hi Austin,Pando,Marist

Thank you very much for sharing your experiences..It would help me in decinding a strategy..Pando you backup a terrabyte databse in 20 minutes flat :-)..Thats cool..just wunderin what symetrix BCV is :-)..will try to search on google..and this 20 minutes is it for full or incremental backup..

Marist whats ur backup strategy like for this Tb database of yours..I was ken on knowing this environment requirements..

And by any chance are you folks running raw volumes for this terrabyte databases

regards
    Hrishy

We're on raw logical volumes because the database used to be a Parallel Server implementation. I plan to migrate to filesystems at some point though.

My understanding of BCV is that's it's the Symmetrix equivalent of Business Copy that you get on the HP XP Disk Arrays e.g. split the mirror, backup the mirror, resync the mirror.

Hi Austin

Thanks for the valauble piece of info..I will go and check both with EMC and HP ..

regards
    Hrishy

We used to take cold backup of our 310GB database on sundays with 4 channels. It takes around 2~3 hours. We used IBM-Tivoli tape library. Our file system was RAW.

But, my dream yet possible strategy would be something like..

1. Move all your read only segments to a read only tablespace and free the headers of these tablespaces by making them read only. Take one time back up of these. by doing this, we can minimize the size of actual database to be taken backup regularly.

2. Organize the tablespaces into 5 or 6 groups. You can take back up of these groups at one per day. That is, you are taking a set of tablespaces one day and other set next day and so on. Obviously, the database should be in archive log mode and all of these backups are hot backups.

By following this strategy, we can make optimal use of available resources.

No no, the strategy mentioned above is not my idea.. Happened to read Andrew Symkovsky's reply in some other forum.
    -nagarjuna