DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Viewing session_privs

Viewing session_privs

Was surprised to see that session_roles for super user sys was empty but of course this user has all the privileges that go into the standart set of roles that are typically created with a new database anyway. But, does anyone know why session_privs dosen't show the privileges SYSDBA or SYSOPER. I am aware that these two privileges cannot be granted to roles since roles are not available before databse startup but don't see why they should not be listed in session_privs.

Regds
    Gus

Can anyone throw any light on this one please, out of curiousity really?

Thanks
    Gus

Go back to basics... When is sys user created??? When are the roles created?? When do you run catalog and cataproc?? Just try answering to these questions by yourself. You will find the answer.
    -nagarjuna

So in other words nagarjuna you haven't got a clue either, you should have just said so mate! While I'm trying to find the answer to my question, I think you should spend time looking for the question to the nowhere answer you've posted.

Thanks for nothing!!
    Gus

Query V$PWFILE_USERS

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

yes and that tells me who has these privileges, so what is the reason they don't also appear in session_privs for super user, please please someone tell me something new. Not sure how many ways i can ask this Q. If the answer is so blaringly obvious then I wish someone would put me out of my misery and tell me straight.

Regds
    Gus

SYSDBA & SYSOPER is an administrative privilage and not a SYSTEM privilege..

So why will this be present in DBA_SYS_PRIVS or even SESSION_PRIVS??

Abhay.
    funky...

"I Dont Want To Follow A Path, I would Rather Go Where There Is No Path And Leave A Trail."

"Ego is the worst thing many have, try to overcome it & you will be the best, if not good, person on this earth"

I don;t believe it I have just done a select on session_privs and the privileges SYSDBA and SYSOPER have been listed.

Sorry if i have confused others as I have confused myself a little as well I think. I realise what i did wrong. I originally signed in as SYS/password but not as SYSDBA (and puzzled over why on earth SYSDBA/OPER privs were not listed) and just now as the same user but as sysdba and those privileges were indeed listed. It all makes sense. Less haste .... and all that and Oh yes but in hindsight etc, etc. So used to SYS being a power user.

Still glad i posted the question though!

So abhaysk and nagarjuna (but in particular i'd like to know what you were on about nagarjuna?!?, next time pls would you mind just answering the Q, your post was unhelpful and condescending, if the Q bugs you don't get involved) SYSDBA/OPER privileges should be listed in session_privs but only if you have signed in as SYSDBA, and yes i know it all seems rather obvious now, always does. Thanks for contributing abhaysk.

Thanks
    Gus

Gus :

DBA_SYS_PRIVS do not contain, but Session_Privs does

(appologoies for my wrong thought) .

Abhay.
    funky...

Originally posted by Gus
    So in other words nagarjuna you haven't got a clue either, you should have just said so mate! While I'm trying to find the answer to my question, I think you should spend time looking for the question to the nowhere answer you've posted.

Thanks for nothing!!
    Gus
    Looks like your are not happy the way I answered.. My sincere apologies. I was trying to tickle your mind and make you find your answer. That lasts longer. This is perfect question for such analysis.

I was trying to answer you why sys user does not have any roles.. I missed out 2nd part of your question all together.

sys user was created the momenet you created the database and all those privileges were inbuilt for sys user. Roles are created and these privilges are assigned to roles while catalog is run. That's what I wanted you to find out. Simple. As I said earlier, I missed out 2nd part of your question.
    -nagarjuna