DBAsupport.com Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: What problems can occurred if the database in archive mode and 7x24

Question What problems can occurred if the database in archive mode and 7x24

Hi All,
    I’m new to Database world, and trying to learn about frequently occurred problems if a database in Archive mode ( 7x24 ). I just want to know the problem headings and then I’ll try to find solution my self.

Thanks in advance.

Warsi.

The only real problem I can think of is that if the log_archive_dest becomes full then the database will hang until space is cleared and Oracle can archive the current redo log. You just need to make sure that you have plenty of space in log_archive_dest and that you delete the archivelogs periodically (having backed them up of course). I backup my archivelogs every 3 hours using RMAN and this will delete them afterwards for me too.

Archivelog mode is definitely the only choice for a 24x7 database; just make sure that log_archive_dest doesn't fill up.

HTH

Austin

Thanks Austin for your input, is there any other problem I should consider.

Can other members help me??

Warsi.

Just keep track of your archives...

A customer of mine choose to manually delete some archives before the backup with RMAN started. RMAN didn't like that. RMAN noticed that there were archives missing and refused to start the backup.

I found the solution in a undocumented command. Here is the guiding text and the command (just in case you need it):

Code:
    It may sometimes be neccessary to re-sync RMAN with details of which
    archive-log files are available to be backed up.  This is most likely 
    if archive logs have been removed from the archive log directory 
    outside the control of RMAN.  The RMAN command to do this is not 
    listed in the manuals, and is as follows: 

change archivelog all validate;

HTH
    An expert is one who knows more and more about less and less until he knows absolutely everything about nothing.

Can I collect some more day to day problems Database, just like 5 most frequently problems, can other senior members help me??

Thanks, Warsi

there arent any problems with running archive log mode 24x7, its how a database should be run.

Only thing that will cause you trouble is if you generate loads of redo and dont have anywhere to put it.

Do you know how much redo you will generate?

Originally posted by efrijters

I found the solution in a undocumented command. Here is the guiding text and the command (just in case you need it):

You can do it with the crosscheck command which is documented at
    http://download-west.oracle.com/docs...cat.htm#441050
    Jeff Hunter